• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep wont start

snowrider1974

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1993 jeep grand cherokee with a 5.2 v-8. It used to take a while to start then would. Now it turns over occasionaly will start and other times not wout draining my battery. I have spark and am getting plenty of fuel. When its running it runs great just problems starting what could be the problem? Could it be the crank shaft positioning sensor?

my 1999 xj suddenly,outta the blue crapped out on me yesterday.it tuturned out the ground cable from the battery was toast.i cit an inch off,crimped a new connector back on and re-attached to the battery and i'm back in business.she's running like a champ.hope this helps u out.lee

You need to test for spark and fuel WHEN symptomatic, when it cranks and doesn't start.

Spraying some starting fluid into the intake is a good quick and dirty test to help isolate no start problems. If it starts and runs momentarily, the problem is a fuel delivery problem. Quick test for spark is to pull a spark plug, keep it attached to the wire, place electrode near a good engine ground, have a buddy crank the engine and look for a strong, blue, snapping spark. Orange/yellow is indicative of a weak spark which may be marginal to fire the engine.

Back