• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing with a tow dolly.

veedubshafer

NAXJA Forum User
I read some threads regarding this but I am not 100% on this. Ok, its a '90 XJ 4.0, 231, Ax15. If I want to tow it on a dolly I keep seeing that the t-case in neutral will lock both rears together. Ok, that I can understand, BUT since my front dana 30 is a vacuum disconnect doesnt that mean that I should be ok if I would just put the t-case and transmission in neutral without removing the rear drive shaft. What do you guys think?

Putting an NP231 in neutral at least for the early years, definately connects the front and rear shafts together. I hear rumors that some of the later models do not do this but I have no personal experience with the late models. I did the tow dolly thing for years. The disco in the front does not fix your problems if you have a locker. I wouldn't even do it without a locker.

Tcase in neutral disconnects everything. This is the best way to tow and eliminates the driveshaft problem of normal vehicles with automatic transmissions.
no, apparently in the early 231 (early or late isn't clear though what year's) the neutral position locks the axles together - I guess I could jack up the jeep and see what happens in neutral - mines a '90 so it probably falls into the "older" category

Sorry if I gave you wrong info, if that's the case. I didn't know they were different than my 2000. You need to jack up one side, put transfer case in neutral, transmission in park, and turn the rear wheel that's in the air. If FR/RR are locked together, the front wheel in the air will turn. If the rear can turn by itself, it is open.

Back