• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Maximum tire size with least amount of lift

socal94xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

I want to run the largest possible tire size with the least amount of lift. My XJ is my daily driver and my goal is to get to 33's with good travel and great stability on and more importantly off road. I was looking at the RE 5.5 long arm and noticed that some people seem to get 33's under less lift with good travel. I was also looking at the Teraflex 4" long arm kit. The Teraflex was suggested by my local Jeep shop in Huntington Beach, CA, and yes, I have searched and found nearly nothing about this lift which has me concerned.

Basically, I need real world advice from people that are running modest lifts with good travel and large tires. What size tire, how much trimming (I am open to trimming as needed) and what lift or combination of parts you used to get there.

I have the money now and it is burning a hole in my pocket, but I want to do it right the first time.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

I'm running 33x12.5's on a RE 3.5" lift. I trimmed about 3" off the front fenders and 1.5-2" off the rear. I can flex to the bumpstops and the tires will just barely touch the fenders. Provides great ride, etc. I'm in the process of putting on TJ flares right now.

i have 33x12.5's on a 3" lift with a little trimming and a wheel backspacing...it rubs a tiny bit when i crank the wheel all the way, so i just dont crank the wheel that far .... problem solved :D

I'm running 33x12.5's on a RE 3.5" lift. I trimmed about 3" off the front fenders and 1.5-2" off the rear. I can flex to the bumpstops and the tires will just barely touch the fenders. Provides great ride, etc. I'm in the process of putting on TJ flares right now.

Thanks for the replies, I think I am leaning toward the RE 3.5 or the Teraflex 4" LA with 33's. Still looking for more input though.

:thumbup: Jeepster, I would like more info on your TJ flare project, if you have any pics etc that would be great.

I've been running 33x12.50s with a RE 4.5" lift. Works Great. I could have probably run 35s with the fender trimming I have done on the 4.5" lift.

man, i really like that. i'm thinking of that same trim job running 255/85r16, or 285/75r16. already got the bb going on.
how much did you trim out of the rear?

Just the normal cut and fold in the rear. Nothing special really.

well, if you wanted... i guess for 33s you don't actually need lift, judging by the fact that ktmracer 419 runs 3" and 37s heh.

32's on 3" bastard lift and no trimming.

pjpictures392.jpg

pjpictures492.jpg

-PJ-

Back