• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Before I start it, I should

unclethumbtack

NAXJA Forum User
I last started my jeep in March of 2008, had a few things to do. Full width swap, gears, lockers, sye, reinforce frame, bumpers, beadlocks, c-rok steering box reinforcement, full cage, etc. Now it is time to roll it out of the shop, what should I do before I start it. I am going to change the oil, and I threw some B-12 in the tank because it smelled a little sour. Any other thoughts. it is a 96 4.0

The best thing to do would be to prime the oil pump to make sure that you don't have a dry start, but thats a PITA. Then next best thing would be to put some marine fogging oil in the cylinders to lube it up. I am a little worried about the gas, if it smells sour I would try to get rid of it or at least top the tank off with some fresh stuff. The next thing would be to check all the fluids and make sure that the battery has a good charge, then let her rip!

Another thing I just thought of is do you have E-10 in your gas? If so then after sitting it can actually cause it to phase seperate and what you are left with on the bottom is the ethanol mixed with any moisture from the air and on the top you have very low octane gas that can actually cause preignition and detonation. BTW there is no additive than cure it once it has seperated. If it is not E-10 then I would top it off with fresh gas.

Another thing I just thought of is do you have E-10 in your gas? If so then after sitting it can actually cause it to phase seperate and what you are left with on the bottom is the ethanol mixed with any moisture from the air and on the top you have very low octane gas that can actually cause preignition and detonation. BTW there is no additive than cure it once it has seperated. If it is not E-10 then I would top it off with fresh gas.

It is E-10 and it does seem like it sours faster than the good stuff.

Not much I think it had less than a 1/4 when I pulled it in, I can throw 10 gallons of fresh gas hopefully that will make it happy.
I would go highest octane you can find just to be safe.

I swapped in a motor that I removed from another jeep that hadnt been started in 5 years - got it all hooked up and started it - theres no reason to take all these precautions - you know how many of our xj's probably sat on car lots for months and months when they were new and were fired up without any special steps - its just unnecessary

Thumb tack
Can we get some pics and specs? Sounds like a bad ass rig.
Good luck!
Here are some specs:

I got the jeep(96,4.0,AW4,231) and was thinking about keeping it pretty stock then, I was on NAXJA and saw that guys were running ford hp44/9 combo's and I just happened to have one in my yard. Most of the work was done in conjunction with Jason at Unknown Customs,because I would have really cobbled up some of the stuff. So I pulled the axles swapped in some 4.88's put an aussie in the front and a full spool in the rear. Trussed and shaved the rear. I extended the radius arms to a custom cross member/ skid plate. Installed a SYE I did some frame stiffening using the t&t frame stiffeners, and went with a C-rok inner and outer steering box reinforcement. I pulled all the carpet out and welded and patched a few holes in the floor bought an s & w roll cage. Built custom bumpers front and rear. Ramsey 8500 winch in front. Using a High amp alternator with an orbital battery. Installed a explorer tranny cooler for the tranny and a cooler for the power steering. My radiator was clogged, had it pressure checked and rodded. Installed a set of the shackle relocation kit from HD off road engineering. Bought a DIY bead lock kit from Unknown Offroad. Mounted brand new 36 inch IROKs on them.

To do before it rolls out, put shocks on, limiting straps, bump stops, I need a slinger for the front axle (one was missing from the factory?) Repaint the whole jeep, new windshield. Tape off the interior and paint the roll cage.

Things I am already looking to change, I used tractor joints on the ends of my radius arms, (I didn't know better at the time). Looking to build a beefy front axle using the spider 9 kit, looking for a rock-trac transfer case and I am going to get a nodular case and 35 spline axles for the rear.

Here are a few pics.
beadlock.jpg
DSC04786.jpg
22apr083.jpg

IMG%5D
IMG%5D
IMG%5D

Back