• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear question

cjsxj87

NAXJA Forum User
I am on the debate on what gears to have installed in my axles. I have a 4.0, and an Ax-15 on 32s. I was wondering if anyone runs 4.56 gears with an Ax-15 on 32s? How is it? Thank you in advance.

4.56 if you ever think you might goto 33's, 4.56 will be OK w/ 32's, not perfect... but better then 4.10 w/ 33's would be...

i run 4.56 on 31's, on my way to 33's soon-ish, regearing twice is for suckers.

I know many (most) will disagree, but I'm running 4.56s with 33s and an AX-15 with 4.0 and wish I had 4.30s instead. I do a lot of highway with speeds around 70-75mph and it turns more RPM than I'd like. At 55mph it's about prefect though.

I think I'd really be hating 32s with my setup and highway speeds.

Just to be on the overboard side of things I just did 4.88 and 31's soon to be 33's but I also have the AW4 with the .7 overdrive.

well, i dont have an ax15 (i wish)...i got stuck with the ba10/5...but i run 33's on 4.10's and really like my gas bill when going 70-75 (at i think about 2200rpm's in OD). id say if your gonna use it as a toy go with 4.56 and if its a DD go for the lesser.

What axles do you have and how big are you planning to eventually go with tires? I have the D30 up front and an 8.25 in the rear 33" tires and running 4.56s and I love 'em. However I know someone out there makes 4.88s for the 8.25 now. I had 35s on for a short while and the 4.56s were just fine. But borderline.

I plan on running 35s with a D30 and D44.

4.88, I was running 4.88 and worn 33's until a month ago. If you plan on running 35s go 4.88

What RPMs are you guys with 4.0 ax-15 and 4.56 gears running at 55, 65, 75. What about you guys with 4.10? I live in CT so I do have hills but I DD and its a mix of highways and backroads. Sorry about being a pain, I am very indesiceive and dont want to spend 500+ per axle and not be happy with it.

i have 4.56, 33s and ax-15... it revs high but not bad. plenty of torque, even great on the highway. i might do 4.10 if you plan on staying at 32s, i had to drive on my old 31s and 4.56 a bit; it was painfully high revving.

I have an ax15 and 410s and 33s. I found the performance to be better than stock as far as highway drivability and street performance and economy. I found a set of 80k mile 98 4cylinder axles for 400 bucks on craigs. I had 3.07 and 31s before and it was a dog. pretty much drove on the freeway in fourth. You will be running at about 2200 at 65 with the 4.10s. That puts you right at the bottom of your torque platoe. Most of the time now I set the cruise at 65 and never even worry about having to downshift at all.

Keep in mind this gearing will be way low for aw4s and those who have aw4s should not comment on this topic. ax15 and aw4s are two different worlds when it comes to gearing and torque output. top gear in ax15 is .79 the aw4 is .753 in the end that is and entirely different rpm range. I'm extremely happy with my 4.10s and i have a 65mile round trip commute daily in steep rolling hills with about 600 pounds of tools in the back. No problems at all.

If you do mostly daily driving this will be perfect for you. If you want a trail rig then you wouldn't be asking this question you would be getting the highest gears you could find. 4.56 are still drivable. I have a yj with such a setup, but your running at 2500rpms at 65 and almost 2900 at 75. At that point you almost above your good torque area and you will have to use more gas to maintain speed.

You should look on craigs and find some new axles like i did. It would have cost me 900 bucks to re-gear my factory sticks and now im selling them and i'm into my new gearing for only 200 bucks. :thumbup:

If you are interested there is a really good gearing calculator among other calculators on 4lo.com

When in doubt, gear lower. The 4.0 doesn't mind spinning some higher RPM's.

If you're unsure, run 1 gear lower on the highway (3 on the automatic, 4 on the manual) for a few days and see how it feels.

I ran 4.56 with 32's for a long time and it was GREAT. I'd spin close to 3k on the highway, but the 4.0 never minded and I did better than 20 mpg.

When in doubt, gear lower. The 4.0 doesn't mind spinning some higher RPM's.

If you're unsure, run 1 gear lower on the highway (3 on the automatic, 4 on the manual) for a few days and see how it feels.

I ran 4.56 with 32's for a long time and it was GREAT. I'd spin close to 3k on the highway, but the 4.0 never minded and I did better than 20 mpg.

20mpg? I don't think I could get that if I was going downhill everywhere I drove. I got better mileage when I had my 3.73s (around 17mpg) in that I do with my 4.56s (around 14-15mpg).

20mpg? I don't think I could get that if I was going downhill everywhere I drove. I got better mileage when I had my 3.73s in.

Fix your rig. :)

A bad ground, bad coolant temp sensor (on a renix, there are 3..), bad o2 sensor .. a lot of things can make your gas mileage tank.

I have 4.88's and 35's now, and get closer to 17. The 4.0 is happier with lower gears and spinning fast than it is when it has to work hard.

Jes used to run 5.13's and 35's and would get 20 highway.

Back