• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ alternator question, I may be Retarded..

Sean5294

NAXJA Forum User
ok so here's the dealio, the other day my alternator pulley froze on my XJ, destroying the belt with it (lots of smoke). i took out the alternator and tried to install the new one. for some reason the new replacement alternator is larger than the old one(i got it online). so i think well maybe it's the wrong part. so i get another from a local store. sure as the sun rises i have the same problem. my question is has anyone else had this problem? was there a change in alternator size between the years (2000-2001)? any how im going to grind the bracket to provide the clearence needed. it just seemed odd. :roll:

Last edited by a moderator:
pics? Where did you get the alternator? Kragen, NAPA?

i don't have any pics at the moment, but they definitely are bigger than the stock unit. i got the first one from Partsgeek.com and the second from autozone.

The "upgrade" Nippondenso units (ZJ/WJ/Durango) have a larger armature frame size than the 90-117A that the XJ got - but if it's a part for the XJ, it should fit fine.

Consensus seems to be that you would have to grind the mounting area 1/4" or so to fit the larger frame of the higher capacity unit (you do want just a touch of daylight in there, once it's all bolted up.)

I do believe the clocking of the rear of the alternator changed 1999/2000, but that's a simple fix (remove the through screws, twist the case halves, reinsert screws. Do not pull the case halves too far apart! If you do, you have to pull them all the way apart so you can reset the brushes...)

Back