• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TRE to Heim conversion

Missiletech

NAXJA Forum User
Hello gang,

I want to flip my steering (OTK) and was looking at going the heim route. I'm familiar with the pros and cons via Search ;) however I own the rusty's setup and would like to replace the TREs with heims. I'd love to replace the setup but time and money lead me to either do the goferit setup or heim joints. I also have to deal with the sway bar brackets and the stabilizer and the trackbar.

Actual question is, anyone know what size thread heims I would use to do a direct swap of the TREs or is that even a possibility?

While I'm on it, I'm also cleaning and touching up welds on my turdy and turdy five (cheap fix to brothers flying escapades: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=918938). I'm doin the welds on the tubes to prevent spinning, moving the shock mounts up. Any other recommendations that are minimal on the $$? I'm looking at having MAYBE a couple hundred bucks a month to play with for a bit.

Thanks again for being the most informative and entertaining forum on the web!

-Steve

id save up some cash and buy different steering, i had the rusty conversion on mine and had a massive dead spot due to the tie rod rolling when i turned, so bad that the steering wheel would never be centered. you could buy some heims and build your own steering. I put the RK kit on mine and like it alot better because of the independent drag link it takes out the rolling and dead spots. im running the drag link on top and the connecting rod under. its not OTK but you arent going to hurt their links, 1.5" solid is almost bigger than the D30 tubes

I would seriously look into getting a 29 spline 8.25...lately there have been a bunch floating around on here, some for like $100-150...

Good heims can get pretty pricy...i'm sure though that a place like Ballistic Fab or someone who sells QA1 heims could match whatever threading the rusty's stuff is set for....

I think when I get time & $$ I'm gonna just find some full width axles, haven't decided yet and it depends on the Kitsap County Junk yards. :D

Also I was looking at replacing all the tie rods with heims... maybe change the way the drag and tie rods link.

Would be a future occurance.. I'm just putting the bandaid on the poor jeep for now so I can actually move it once and awhile without worrying about it too much. There are a few cool places to drive around without any "serious" mods that I'd like to be able to drive through again and waiting until I can get what I WANT under the thing... that will be awhile, especially as I'll be deploying sometime this year :(

Back