• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 Problems with '00 Sport

Rufies97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
'00 Sport STOCK 13K miles
Two things....
1st... When slowing down or stopping... the Steering wheel has a horrible shake and the brake seems to vibrate a lot.
2nd... A few times in past month the rear end has made a clunk sound where it feels like the rear end is not good. I knwo.. what does that mean... Ok...you know how when let up on the gas...you can feel the axle "relax"...well.. thats best i can describe it... Ok... a few times, when I have let up on the gas.... it feels as if the rear end relax too much and makes a huge clunking sound and you can feel it....bad.
Ok.. This Jeep is my fiancees and I have a '97 sport and this jeep drives a little different then mine does and I am having trouble figuring out whats the problems is....
Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
Warped rotors, they had a recall out on those for owners in the rustbelt, they are laminated and can seperate. Best get them checked and see if the recall was done.
Check your universals on the drive shaft.

I second the warped front rotors, and second checking your u joints.

Mike

The clunking sound may be attributed to your slip yoke binding on the tailshaft. This happens over time when the grease wears out there, from your slip yoke moving in and out over the tailshaft. Loosen or remove the clamp from around the tailshaft rubber boot. Remove the driveshaft. Apply grease to the splines and reinstall the driveshaft. Recommendation has been to use Loc Tite silver molly grease, or something to that effect. It should be a warranty item at this point, if you don't want to mess with it. All in all is an easy job if you don't want to leave your rig with the dealer...

Ivan

Has it been wheeled at all? If so check that yoke. I recently had something quite close to that same sound/feel. I found that my straps that held on my driveshaft to my yoke was bent from rock rash and my ujoint was sloppin back and forth in the yoke. just grab ahold of the drive shaft and see if it wiggles at all. it should be very tight on both ends.

Rufies97XJ said:
This thing is completely stock.. never been wheeled.

So it's mad at you for being abused like that. I still say slipjoint, just like I did in that other forum :cool:

Back