• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another wheel bearing question...

Beatjeep

NAXJA Forum User
So I replaced my front hub yesterday because I was getting a humming and vibration noise coming from the driver's side front wheel. The noise would go away if I turned left and was only really audible at 30 mph+. It would also vibrate in the floor. Because of these symptoms, I definitely thought wheel bearing.

I took it for a spin and again and the noise and vibration remains. Does anyone have any thoguhts? Carrier bearing? If so, how do I replace one of those?

Jeep is a 97 stock with HP D30

Last edited:
Re: Another wheels bearing question...

While you had everything apart did you replace the u-joint also ?

What diagnostic method leads you to believe the carrier bearings are bad instead of the axle u-joints, drive shaft u-joints, or centering ball ?

Last edited:

I didnt replace the u-joint when I did the hub. I did check it though and it didnt seem to have any play.

Would a drive shaft u-joint stop the vibration and hum when turning in a certain direction?

Would a drive shaft u-joint stop the vibration and hum when turning in a certain direction?

what is most certainly, Alex

So, did you track down what was wrong? Mine is doing the same exact thing just on the passenger side. I too replaced my hub only, every thing else looked good. It did seem to at least quieten the growl though.

Back