• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upper Control Arm Bracing?

chris420

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone braced the upper control arm mount on the D30? Is it necessary to do this? I run 33" tires and a trutrac in the front D30 and that is the only bracket that I have not braced on my D30.

Yes. I have seen many people bend or rip off the UCA mount on the passenger side. Mine was cracked before I repaired it and then eventually did this:

4781.jpg

Do you remember what thickness of steel you used? Also will I risk over heating the tubes? Shortly after I did my LCA skids my inner axle seal started to leak on the driver side. I am not sure if it was result of my welding or just a bad seal. Should I rap the tubes with wet towels or is that a bad idea? Also I have your book. I like it the book has helped me with many mods. So far I did the LCA skids, goforit tie rod flip, and Warn lock out conversion with cromo inner and outers. I was wondering why Jason West has a low pinion D30 and not a high pinion. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Chris,

I used 3/16" to brace the UCA mount. Sleeving the tubes was all extra and I did that because I was replacing the LCA mounts as well so it was a good time to do it. Some guys brace the UCA mount with a truss that also strengthens the whole axle housing.

Welding on LCA skids should in no way cause the seals to leak since there is a good distance between them. Even the driver side shouldn't be an issue. The leak was probably just a coincidence.

So no if you are just adding a piece to strengthen the UCA mount you shouldn't worry about axle warpage at all.

Also just an FYI, most UCA mounts I've seen have the open side of the mount facing the front. I don't know why this axle is different but the open side of the mount on mine faces to the rear.

Ya the open side on mine faces the rear as well. Thanks for the help. Looks like Moab was fun.

i did the same thing to the upper control arm mount with 1/8 to box it in and also i had rustys axle brace which was a gift so i used it but am going to add more with tube to beef up the 30 (sleeving and more truss work)

Back