• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Fluid

srkruger

NAXJA Forum User
Is there any way of telling what transmission is in my jeep? I have a 1994 Cherokee and need to put some tranny fluid in it and the guys at autozone said that there is two different for that year and the take different fliud. Is it true that you can mix fluids? The guy said it really didnt matter what fluid I put in. The reason why I ask this is because why would they make two different fluids then?

I'm assuming you have a 4.0L. If you have an auto, you have the AW4 transmission. Use ATF, Dexron II or III. If you have a stick, it's the AX-15 transmission. Use 75W-90 gear oil. 1994MY was the changeover year for the AX-15 from an internal slave cylinder to an external one; maybe that's what the Autozone guys meant? That wouldn't change the type of fluid required though.

So there is no difference between mercon dexron 3 and ATF+4? I bought some ATF+4 Full Synthetic and was going to put it in but wasnt sure what was in the tranny before and weather I could mix the fluids or not.

90xj06 said:
you can use synthetic in every thing but the tranny for future referance.

If it's an AX-15, a good synthetic with a low or zero sulfur content is best. Regular GL-5 has a lot of sulfur that shortens the life of brass synchros and tend to shift poorly in cold temps.

I seem to be in a very distinct minority, but flushed out my '98's aw4 114k ago w/mobil one, absolutely no problems since, super smooth shifting, always clean fluid checks, new (or clean screen) every 30k. No hunting, I tend to downshift into third when approaching inclines under 60 mph.

Two variables, rarely see's traditional wheelin', and still running 3.55's w/31's.

Also installed factory tranny cooler very early on.

Go figure.

Back