• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BIG BLACK BOX= RESONATOR

Interesting. That's not a standard part on a US model XJ. We get a plain rubber hose running from air filter box to the top of the throttle body. Included in that setup is a venturi to provide the suction for the evaporative emission system.

I'm guessing it won't make much difference either way, but you should probably make sure that any plan to remove or modify it doesn't affect the evaporative emission setup, if you have it.

What does the snorkel tubing look like under the wrap? Is the radiator looking piece on top of the TB some sort of intercooler for a secret Turbo model?

The parts manual shows them from 94 up. They list different countries are requiring them. (None in North America)

intakeresonator.jpg

Yeah, some grand cherokee's might have had them, and I've seen 2.5L TJ's with them, just a resonator box to give it a better sound as far as I know. Some boxes manipulate the frequency of the engine to induce more of a vacuum effect, but I doubt Jeep/chrysler (but possibly AMC) would spend their time manufacturing/engineering such a component for only 1hp/1ft/lb of gain.

Yeah, some grand cherokee's might have had them, and I've seen 2.5L TJ's with them, just a resonator box to give it a better sound as far as I know. Some boxes manipulate the frequency of the engine to induce more of a vacuum effect, but I doubt Jeep/chrysler (but possibly AMC) would spend their time manufacturing/engineering such a component for only 1hp/1ft/lb of gain.

But the picture is of my 99' cherokee xj though...

They list different countries are requiring them. (None in North America)

That should be *as requiring*. Still pretty lousy English but what I had intended to post. Dang spellcheckers!! ;)

That should be *as requiring*. Still pretty lousy English but what I had intended to post. Dang spellcheckers!! ;)

I understood it just fine...thanks for the illustration...obviously some countries require it, I'm sure Argentina it's not one of those ,they are not very strict on emissions or engine noise here...

Stuff1.jpg

That round tube thing on the left. You just slide it out.

I see...mine doesn't seem to have it though...maybe the resonator (big black box) it's supposed to do the work ,if that is making the engine more quiet...
It seems "export models" might be a little different on some things maybe...
Mine is a cherokee "classic"...for instance here it's registered as a 2000 model,but when I checked the VIN number it said it was made in 99" ,so I consider it a 99' model...another interst thing is that it's armored,wich adds about 400 pounds to it ,so when you got people on it on top of that,it gets quite heavy...

Alot of vehicles are made towards the end of the 4th quarter of the previous year and are designated the next year.

For instance my 95 XJ was made in December of 94.

Hm that is a good question. I suppose it could be deignated as a 2000 if they wanted. You'd really have to check the casting number on the head. 0331 started mid/late 99 and continue on to 2000 and 2001.

The only XJ's wit the 0331 head were designated as 2000 and 2001.

So if you still had the older head before 0331 it would have to be designated 1999.

Hm that is a good question. I suppose it could be deignated as a 2000 if they wanted. You'd really have to check the casting number on the head. 0331 started mid/late 99 and continue on to 2000 and 2001.

The only XJ's wit the 0331 head were designated as 2000 and 2001.

So if you still had the older head before 0331 it would have to be designated 1999.

That number is 5301023611596...

The 10th digit in the VIN designates the model year. If it says "Y" it is 2000. Maybe X is 1999, but I don't know that for sure. Normal model year changeover is in August or September when they begin making the next years model. This is not written in stone, but any variation would be to start earlier instead of later. If it was built in September or later of 1999, it is almost certainly a 2000.

The 10th digit in the VIN designates the model year. If it says "Y" it is 2000. Maybe X is 1999, but I don't know that for sure. Normal model year changeover is in August or September when they begin making the next years model. This is not written in stone, but any variation would be to start earlier instead of later. If it was built in September or later of 1999, it is almost certainly a 2000.

I see ,I runned the number on vin decoder online and it comes out as a 99...(the letter is,indeed ,an x)...it it shows is made in "Kanada"...and that is a 4-speed Automatic Transmission (Europe)...I wonder if there is any difference between Europe and USA transmission wise...

Back