• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15

Seanw

NAXJA Forum User
Is there any difference between YJ/TJ AX-15's and Cherokee AX-15's ????
Any info would be great.Thanks
I have an 88 Cherokee With a sterling 10.25 rear and a 60 front long arms and bla bla bla. If any of you care. I did the search and could not find enough info to answer my question.
Or a good web site that would give me the dirt.

Transmissions are the same. Spline counts for the output shafts shouldn't vary either like they do for certain years of auto trans.

Yep, but for the most part, you won't find too many transmissions separated from the bellhousings. Earlier years of AX15's had an internal slave cylinder so if you can, avoid those and go with the newer (I believe '94 and newer) transmissions to get the external.

I have a '93 that had the internal and swapped it out with a '99 TJ bellhousing and ext. slave. The only complication was using my original AX15 and getting the salvage yard to swap out the bearing retainer sleeve from the '99 transmission to complete the swap.

You'll need to fab up a new hydraulic line from the newer external slave to your clutch master since your '88 uses an aluminum line and the newer external slave uses a plastic line with goofy push on connectors with roll pins. Not hard to join the two lines using brass ferrule fittings. That's what I did.

Cool thanks for the info. I have a bell housing from a 95 Yj/Tj. A tranny from a 93 Yj. Got an external slave from a 95 Cherokee And the bolt pattern on the bell housing does not match the slave cyl bolt pattern. I will just make a bracket for that. Good to know everything else is good to go. That front bearing retainer is a hard one to find. That is giving me a little trouble as well. Looks like i will have to pony up and buy a new one.

Last edited:
Seanw said:
Cool thanks for the info. I have a bell housing from a 95 Yj/Tj. A tranny from a 93 Yj. Got an external slave from a 95 Cherokee And the bolt pattern on the bell housing does not match the slave cyl bolt pattern. I will just make a bracket for that. Good to know everything else is good to go. Thamks again.

Not sure you'd wanna do that. The bracket - if I understand you correctly - would position the slave farther back from the throw out bearing fork (the thickness of the bracket) and that could be just enough to cause issues. Just get the correct slave cylinder for the application - they're cheap enough.

Just so we're on the same page here, the bearing retainer I'm referring to is the sleeve around the input shaft like what's pictured on the front of this tranny:

ax15_ftdq.jpg

Dunno that you'd wanna "pony up" to buy that - if you could even find it - that'd be friggin' expensive I'd imagine. Best thing to do would be to find a salvage yard that removes the transmissions, bring in your old internal slave bearing retainer and ask if you can purchase the retainer you need off a transmission and swap them for your old one so they can keep the transmission complete and dirt free. That's what I ended up doing - $15 plus my old retainer.

just a quick note.
The t-case clocking on a YJ trans is going to be different than an XJ trans. About 10-15*
Some clearancing of the floorpan may be needed with a BFH.

If I do make the bracket. I will lengthen the push rod buy that much as well. That is the piece that I need it is about 250$ and a week away. That is a great idea for the swap I will phone around. Before I order that. Dang about the clocking that is the first I heard about that. Oh well just a little more work on an already over do project.
Thanks again for all your input.

Regarding the different clocking on the T case mounting holes, the rear flange on the trans. is made such that the holes can be drilled to be used on a YJ/TJ or on the Cherokee. On the Cherokee the T case hangs lower 13 degrees I think. Just make up a jig to mark the holes and redrill the flange . It's aluminum , not hard to do. I recently converted my MJ to AX15 and when I found the T case wouldn't fit all the way up in the tranny tunnel I pulled the case and drilled it on the truck .

Back