• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

38's....

88manche

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm assuming axles(brakes included) and steering, suspension and sawzalling, what else do I need to do for them? What are the minimum requirements?

How long can I expect them to last on a 35 lsd and a open 30 with 3.55's?

on 38's! ... not very long i'd say, they might hold up on some light mall crawlin:roll:

I have a buddy who runs 37" iroks on a D30 D35 LSD combo...but he has 4.10 gears and a v8 (grand cherokee)...also his axles are trussed and he runs alloys.

He's been running this set-up for about 2 years, and he runs it hard. Goes to show you, for some people you can run almost any set-up.

~Scott

So I'm assuming axles(brakes included) and steering, suspension and sawzalling, what else do I need to do for them? What are the minimum requirements?

Either a D60 or 14B for the rear, or a build up 9inch. Up front, a HPD60 with kingpins. Obviously adequate brakes to stop them. Its a little more complicated than it sounds. You have to make adequte clearance to clear the 38s, especially in the rear. Custom steering is a must. Check out this thread at pirate, its a lot of work.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=572710

Also, I'm no pro on the D35/D30 but I cant imagine it would live a very long life turning 38s without a buttload of money put into them.

Some kind of unibody reinforcing might be a good idea also, thats a lot more weight than was originally attached to the cherokee, even if it was unsprung weight.

Last edited:
I have 38's on my cherokee. rustys 8" longarm, SYE, NP231, custom drive shafts and a LOT of really bad fender trimming. ( none of this was my doings) stock gears and axles and I run it every weekend. nothing has broke yet but I have a D60 in the garage waiting gears if you know what I mean. I don't trust it at all, but it still hasn't broken anything after 6 months I think.

minimum requirements are big f'ing axles, u joints, shafts, steering and set up time with trimming and bumpstopping. Thats if you really want to wheel the thing. Otherwise stock axles are the shit for mall crawlin!!! Just run them!!

ya, I am getting 5.13's (when I bought the axle it had 7.17's) I would have kept them if this wasn't my DD just to see how it worked, but IMO you should go 5.13 as well. And I am pretty sure the only reason mine have held up so far is no LSD or Lockers, because there is less stress in spinning a tire in mud than gripping two on rock... If you are going to make the tires bigger, why not make everything else bigger?

save your money, I am running 36 inch bias plyIroks on a fresh 9/44 setup and I am saving for a front 609. I would not run bigger than a 33 inch tire on your setup.

If the 35 is a non-c-clip axle, then you'll last longer than one with them. Easy on the "Go" pedal, and not a lot of rock crawlin. Carry spare shafts. I have a friend that has driven thousands of miles on the road, and lots of off-road running 36's. He knows how to drive, and knows when to let up. DON"T EVER BOUNCE... :D When he did break the front axle... towing another Jeep up a hill axle shaft gone, axle draggin', he broke the front dana 30 HP axle shaft when a u-joint let go.

I ran Waggy 44's with a front leaf spring conversion, 5:13's, and 38x14.50x15 TSL SX's. I did break a u-joint, although it was an originla waggy joint. After replacing, never broke again. 38 TSL's on a 15" rim ran a little taller than 36"es. The 5:13's were perfect with the older 4.0L and the AW-4 tranny. Would run 80 MPH all day long with the 38's. Hills were not a problem.

I ran 36's on a d30/8.25 for 2 years with 4.56 gears. One of the years the d30 was open and i had zero failures. Once locked in the front i broke a shaft and a couple you joints. I also went through 2 gear sets. I was very hard on the jeep but it only broke when i knew it might... usually a little air under the tires or something like that. It was fine in the rocks though.

New set up is d44's with 38's and 5.13's so we'll see how that goes.

It depends on what you use your rig for. Mud bogging isn't going to as harsh as rock crawling on the axles/drive train. I'm running 37" boggers (which need to be replaced with a better rock tire) on a stock 9" rear and a HP Dana 44, both have detroit lockers. The d44 has alloy shafts. 4.88 gears, atlas II and a 727 tranny. So far this setup has worked fairly well in the rocks, accept for the tires.

Last edited:
Back