• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone running 4.10's and 33's.

go1lum

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking 4.10's and 33's with a locker front and rear is the setup i want. I know ppl are going to say jump up to the 4.56 for the same price but that just seems like to low of a gear for what i do. I drive 90% highway and only do 55mph as it is. But a couple times a week i'll go play around in the trails. Along with this setup i want to do a 6.5 lift with custom from 3 or 4 link. Do 33's feel decent with 4.10s.

I'm thinking 4.10's and 33's with a locker front and rear is the setup i want. I know ppl are going to say jump up to the 4.56 for the same price but that just seems like to low of a gear for what i do. I drive 90% highway and only do 55mph as it is. But a couple times a week i'll go play around in the trails. Along with this setup i want to do a 6.5 lift with custom from 3 or 4 link. Do 33's feel decent with 4.10s.
Liveable, you'll notice a lack of power when towing, or on steep hills like mountain passes. And they dont hold back well going down steep offroad stuff. And forget being able to do a non brake assisted burnout, its not going to happen (not that you'd want to). But thats what I'm running and have been running this year anyways, till 35's next year.

that's what i am running and it's fine. For the hiway it keeps the RPM low for good MPG and is deep enough that you can still drive on hills without it gearing down. Towing may not be as great (I don't tow with mine anymore I bought a truck for that) but for all round wheeling and hiway I think it's fine.

If 4.56 will bring you into a powerband that's more usable, and will provide lower gearing on the trail then why would you want to stop halfway, at 4.10? Install cost is the same no matter which gear you use.

Jim www.yuccaman.com
96 XJ w/33x10.50 and 4.56

DON'T DO IT! I've got 4.10s and 33s.. IT SUCKS!!!

Started out with 32's.. .it was borderline OK... 33's are way too much for 4.10s... smallest interstate hill it downshifts...

If you are regearing anyways go 4:56, I'm only at 4:10's because they were cheap junkyard axles

Assuming you have an auto tranny, 4.56s and 33s will get you 2250 rpms at 65 in OD, and under 2K at 55. What's wrong with that? Power is good and if you have bumpers, armor, winch, wheelin' stuff, etc. they help make up for the extra weight.

I had my 4.10 gears in hand and decided at the last minute to go 4.56--very glad I did. I don't think I've EVER seen anyone post that they wish they had gone with higher gears--it's always the other way round.

I did a budget boost with 31's about 6 months ago and noticed that the 31's hurt performance dramaticly. I scored a set of junkyard axles with 4:10's and now it's geared only slightly lower than stock 3:55's with 225-75's. I used the speedo vs. GPS to determine this. My speedo read about 3 mph fast @ 55mph.

That being said I would look very closly at the 4:56's. My brother backed my jeep out of the shop after the axle swap so I just told him to keep his seat for the test drive. He was expecting my jeep to be wound tight at highway speeds but his comment was wow, what a deep O.D. You got this thing geared perfect.

Now unless you think you'll go to smaller tires, I'd go with the 4:56's. That of course is my opinion based on the 4:11's and 31's. HTH, Al

i had 4.56 gears and 33's and i do all highway driving. it was not the best for mileage. lower gearing is better for city driving, i think that 4.10's and 33's will be much better for highway. when i had 3.55 gears and 31's i lacked some power but got great mileage on the highway(keep in mind i live in the prairies and it is all flat land, no hills)

The big question, in order to give you an exact answer is do you have an aw4 or an ax15. The gearing is a bit different between the two thats why aw4 mostly come from the factory with 3.55 and ax15s with 307. Aw4s also have to deal with slippage and loss of tourque. Ax15s can usually enjoy a slightly lower gearing and have no problem. Those that say 4.10s and 33s suck might want to first ask that question.

I personally had 3.07s and 31s and it was a bit sluggish and wasn't getting all that great of mileage either. I then swapped in 4.10s and 33s and noticed better than stock performance and back to stock mileage(17-20). At the same time i upped to 6.5" and have a 60 mile round trip commute every day with 300-400lbs of tools in the back. This was all done with an ax15. Those with an aw4 will have vastly different experience and poorer performance.

Last edited:
The big question, in order to give you an exact answer is do you have an aw4 or an ax15. The gearing is a bit different between the two thats why aw4 mostly come from the factory with 3.55 and ax15s with 307. Aw4s also have to deal with slippage and loss of tourque. Ax15s can usually enjoy a slightly lower gearing and have no problem. Those that say 4.10s and 33s suck might want to first ask that question.

I personally had 3.07s and 31s and it was a bit sluggish and wasn't getting all that great of mileage either. I then swapped in 4.10s and 33s and noticed better than stock performance and back to stock mileage(17-20). At the same time i upped to 6.5" and have a 60 mile round trip commute every day with 300-400lbs of tools in the back. This was all done with an ax15. Those with an aw4 will have vastly different experience and poorer performance.

Damn, beat me to it.

I have an ax15 w/ 33's on the stock 3.07s. I plan on going to 4.56s or deeper with upgraded axles (at least rear) when I move to 35's, but I think that if you are running the ax15 the 4.10s should be enough, just from how it felt going from stock tires, to 30s, then to 33s. I feel like I need about 4.10s to get back to where I should be. Mind you I would drive about 50/50 city/highway and managed to pull off 17+ mpg with 33's and stock gearing, I just shifted late (without pushing too hard) on backroads, and left it in 4th on the highway. Kept the revs a bit higher than I normally would and it ran fine.

So comparatively, I would say if you have an aw4 to go with the 4.56s if you are actually regearing your current axles.
If you were planning on trying to find axles in a junkyard and swap them in, you could get away with 4.10s. that was my original plan, find a 4.10 ford 8.8 or chry 8.25 29-spline and swap it in. The junkyard route could definitely be cheaper, and could give you a stronger axle in the process..

I have 4.10 and 33's, also on a AX-15.
No real big issues, i dont mind it. I might ont have a whole lot of power, but I dont really need it.
I had 3.07's and it was a dog.

Back