• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Johnny Joints vs RE: reliablity and serviceablity

xj4life

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to decide between Johnny Joints and Rubicon Express Builder Balls. I've never had any experience with JJ's but it sees the RE retention system (screwed - RE vs. snap ring - JJ) seems more strout. Anyone have problems with JJ's falling apart?

Also how easy is it to service JJ's. It seems that to install/remvoe the snap ring would require a loading of the joint axially in order to remove the forces from the snap ring.

xj4life said:
I'm trying to decide between Johnny Joints and Rubicon Express Builder Balls. I've never had any experience with JJ's but it sees the RE retention system (screwed - RE vs. snap ring - JJ) seems more strout. Anyone have problems with JJ's falling apart?

Also how easy is it to service JJ's. It seems that to install/remvoe the snap ring would require a loading of the joint axially in order to remove the forces from the snap ring.

You hit it on the head -- from a function standpoint, they are the same. However you can service RE joints without any special tools (besides a spanner wrench), while you will need a press to service a JJ...

Almost. JJ last for quite awhile. I've had mine in my control arms for near 4 years and they were used when I got them. I havn't had to service them and they are still tight.

However the RE joints is you do have to service them the threads can get full of all kids on gunk and get screwed up pretty easily. Twisted Custom used the RE and other threaded joints for a bit then went back to JJ for this reason.

Quote from Brain at Twisted Customs: "I would stay away from the rebuildable joints. We have had nothing but bad luck with them. The very fine threads don't like road grime, moisture, and lack of maintinance. We Used to use them on all of the trucks, but when we went to rebuild them half of the threads were galled, and thus ruining the whole joint. "

tealcherokee said:
im sure its possible, but no. theres no way in hell youll be able to work on a jonny joint w/o a press.

Press, you don't need a stinking press for johnny joints. I have done jj installs with only using a bench vise.

-Mike

i got a question about assembling RE joints. i have the big joints im using them on the end of my radius arms. im trying to get the nylon inserts in there but they wont go. are they supposed to be this difficult? do you need to pres them in? they didnt come with instructions so im just trying to figure this out

Back