• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d30 pinion yoke q...

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
understand preload adjustment, etc... but, how do I remove yoke w/o all those fancy service tools, just carefully tap it off and then carefully run the nut up w/airgun, torque down, check inch pound preload?

Thanks, Mike

Depends on whether or not your D30 has a crush sleeve to set pinion preload, or if it uses shims. If it uses shims, remove the pinion nut and use a two-jaw puller to remove the yoke. Install the new yoke using the old pinion nut to force the yoke on, then install new pinion nut and torque to specs. The bearing preload should not have changed, unless you changed the shims. If yours has a crush sleeve, the correct way is to replace the sleeve and follow the FSM procedure to adjust pinion bearing preload. You may get away with marking the exact position of the old nut and taking a reading on preload before removing the old nut & yoke. Install the yoke, tighten the new nut to the old position and check preload; but I haven't done this personally, so I can't say this is an accepted procedure or not.

I'm pretty sure it has shims; a couple of years back I ordered gears, bearings, etc..., but never got around to installing them.

Thanks, appreciate the advice...

this is NOT the proper way to do it, but i can tell you for a fact that this is how technicians at do it at the dealership when replacing a pinion seal.

mark the nut and pinion lenght wise, and then mark EXACTLY how many threads are sticking out past the nut. then when you re-assemble everything, line the nut back up to the marks you made. once you get that, give it another 1/4 turn and leave it. (might also be a good idea to use some medium strenght lock tite since your "not supposed" to reuse those nuts. (but people always do)

like i said, it's not the proper way to do it, but it works. i've done it several times including on my own vehicles, and never had a problem.

Appreciate just needing puller, and definitely will go the mark nut/pinion route.

Thans for the detailed help...

Mike

Back