• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finished D44 swap, now I think there is a whirring sound...

I just finished swapping out my my d35 for a 44 and drove the 40 or so miles home from where I did it. There is a slight whirring coming from the back... any ideas?

It doesn't sound like metal grinding, it almost sounds like its coming from the tires or the breaks but i dunno.

did you check to see if your brake shoes are dragging

Probably the outer bearing on one side. Crank the wheel side to side to try to load it and see if it gets worse on one side.

stewie: no. how do i deal with that? and how do i deal with that profile pic :banghead: lol

i'll load it up in a turn too. thanks dudes.

the brake shoes may be out of adjustment. to check it you can put the rear axle on jackstands. spin the wheel by hand and listen. you would be able to hear the brake shoe draggin on the drum. they are supposed to bearly drag when adjusted properly. there also should not be very much resistance to you turning the tire by hand.

if you find that the shoes are dragging on the drum too much then adjusting them is easy. there should be a long rubber oval plug on the bottom back of the backing plate. remove that plug. using a drum brake adjusting tool (or even a flat head screwdriver) you can turn the adjusting star wheel inside. adjust the shoes until they just bearly make contact with the drum.

hth

cool thanks stewie.

i bought the axle of another naxja member. he'd rebuilt it but used the shoes it came with (still drums) because there was lots o life left in them. gears are also factory 3.55's taking it in to get the front regeared asap. probably advanced 4wd systems.

probably sounds stupid that i don't know how to adjust the brakes, but ever since highschool autoshop I hated messing with them. so I've pretty much succesfully avoided working on them the last 9 years of my life.

Back