• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

APN header require altering to fit my '99?

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
Tomorrow (New Year's Day) I'm finally going to have time to replace my cracked exhaust manifold and install the new APN header that I've had for the past 5 months. I just barely noticed today on this web site what it says about the '99 model: http://www.ineedparts.com/auto-parts/exhaust-parts/exhaust-manifolds.html

It says that 1999 Models may require altering the #6 tube or intake manifold for clearance.Has anyone that has a '99 had to do anything to the APN header to make it fit? I am just trying to install this with as few surprises as possible. Thanks.

I used a 60 grit sandpaper disk on my 4" angle grinder. It took about a few minutes to remove a some casting bumps and flash from the intake.

How did your install go? I'm tackling the same project next weekend on my 99.

It was a beast. I did this on New Year's Day last year. The whole project took a day and a half of non-stop work to get this working right. I put it all together and found out that I had a leak somewhere because the engine would rev out of control when I would start it up.

I had to disassemble the whole thing and do it over again. This was my least favorite repair that I have had to do so far; far worse than the rear main seal. Some of the bolts on the manifold are just so difficult to get to. I wish you luck and definitely don't envy you for having to get this done.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I'll be glad to help you out if I can.

For future search results - use one of those Gear-Wrench swivel head wrenches on the hard to get to bolts. Torque the easy to install bolts and then get a "feel" for how tight they are with your Gear-Wrench. Then torque down the hard to get to bolts to the same "feel".

Just finished this job on mine about 2 hours ago....really was not that bad at all. Did not have to do any modifications to the intake or anything. The only problem that I had was with the APN on, that middle bolt on the bottom is an absolute pain to get to! Wasn't able to torque it with a torque wrench, but got it plenty tight with a normal wrench. I used a long extension and a universal to get all the other bolts on and off.

Definitely use a Felpro gasket. I used the one supplied by APN when I was lining everything up to get a feel for how it would fit, and then went back and used the Felpro. I also recommend replacing the hardware too. The bolts on mine were very rusted, while the studs were actually in pretty good shape. I picked up an exhaust hardware kit from work (Advance) and it had almost everything I needed....it was short two bolts and I thought it would be when I ordered it but went ahead and grabbed it anyways. Made a quick dash to tractor supply and grabbed a few more (ended up having to cut these down though...about 1/4" too long). I did re-use the washers that were on the Jeep...the exhaust hardware kit I got only had a standard flat washer...not the doughnut looking ones that were on the Jeep.

I'd also recommend picking up an flange hardware kit...the two bolts supplied by APN didn't even have anything stamped on the head...didn't want to take a chance with what looked like very cheap bolts. The ones I picked up from work even fit better too.

Back