• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Superlift 4 inch lift

DiazXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Everyone:

I am new to the XJ world. I am purchasing a 97 XJ, 4 DR, 2WD and I have some questions concerning driveline angles and the Superlift 4 inch lift kit. All of my previous experience revolved around full size pick ups, so the XJ is a whole new game to me. In the arid Texas desert, 2WD, horsepower and a decent lift can get you pretty far off road. I am looking at installing the 4 inch lift from Superlift because it includes upper and lower control arms, coils, leaf springs, trac bar, transfer case lowring kit, and shocks for a resonable price, also, Superlift has a really good reputation for quality around here. I'm not looking for the cheapest lift, I'm looking a good kit at a decent price. Does anyone have this Superlift kit installed or have any kind of experience wiith this kit?

Everythign I've read concerning lifted XJ's indicates that a SYE kit is ususally necesary in order cure drive line vibes. Since this is a 2WD, there is no transfer case and the drive line angles aren't as severe. Will I still have to worry about vibes at this lift height?

superlift is good bang for the buck especially with all you get... the general consensus will be with a tc drop you should be ok but i think 4 inches of lift or more should get a sye kit but it really is a case by case deal and each jeep is going to be different so lift it and install the tc drop and see how it drives... from there you can shim the rear or do it right all the way and go with a p.o.r.c. HD SYE for 200 shipped to your door... i have it with about 8 inches of lift and its awesome so all in all you should be ok but i would get one anyway and do it right the first time...depends on budget obviously but lift and drive and see if you really need one... do some searches here for correct pinion angle and such

you should be fine without a sye in 2wd... but you should look into buyin a scrap xj and swapping the front axle, t case..etc... yer gunna want 4wd if you ever really use that 4 inches

Thanks for your input. I debated 2WD vs. 4WD question for several weeks. The fact of the matter is that in this desert environment, a good locker with 2WD, and some horsepower will get you just about anywhere. It's all about floatation in the sand. I've never owned nor needed 4WD, but I think it would be nice to have. This forum may actually change my mind though.

Cherokee's are addictive. Give it a year, You'll be sitting at 7" of lift in the 2wd with coilovers and have a 4wd with 5.5" of lift, 35's and an atlass.

The superlift 4" kit is not a bad choice. I'd probably steer you towards Rubicon Express myself, but thats all preference.

-C

Back