• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake lights and signal in one

njenn3

NAXJA Forum User
so looking at the fuse blocks and general wiring on my 91 cherokee vs. my old 84 chevy they look very similar with the connectors and i know the cherokee uses the old chevy column but has anybody figured out how to make the brake lights and turn signals in to one bulb like the chevy. i know going back the wiring is completely diffrent but up fron almost looks the same? i just keep blowing those cheap tailight converters on my small jetski trailer and wanted to know if there was a more durable solution with only a couple wire changes under the dash. any help or expierinces would be great

thanks

You could add in 2 relays like they use to upgrade headlights, then make the brake light circuit actuate both relays, and the turn signal only activate the appropriate side. Maybe there is still an easier way, but that would work. I think the Summit relays are pretty cheap.

its definatly not the trailer.. its been behind five diffrent trucks, and one of them i have fused all of the trailer wiring to isolate problems. even with a 2 amp fuse in the holder it wont pop it and the converter boxes are rated at 5 i believe for brake lights. i was just wondering thought because later on it may be good if i upgrade to the rustys tail light buckets.

I've used a convertor (Murray's cheepo) on my Crown Vic for 10 years with two different trailers and never had it fry. In fact, one time in the rain, it fried a fuse in the main vehicle fusebox, but the convertor was still good. Because it blew that fuse though, this year I converted the trailers to LED tailights (from Harbor freight) which draw a lot less juice and are brighter than hell!

Actually, that's the easiest answer! LED taillights with the convertor box. But the relays would work too.

Your convertor ground is good, isn't it?

the ground is good.. im using the ground bolt located behind the drivers side panel. when i install it everything seems fine but even today i borrowed a set of magnetic tow lights off the tow truck at work it fried the new box . going through and testing the new box i just put on it fried the brake wiring in the converter and attempts to ground through that circuit. the turn signals will work but the brake lights dont work but the turn signals wont work without the brake light wire hooked up even though its supposed to be separate circuits with the brake lights off. but they work when the brake light wire is grounded to chassis :hang: i did that test after the fact so i know that didnt kill it .. but im going to dig deeper tomorrow and look at schematics of both vehicles

I was wondering how to wire up brake lights and turn signals to the same bulb as well. Not because I have to but it was always in the back of my head, wondering "how is it done so both function properly?"

Back