• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil leak due to bad head gasket?

xjchris98

NAXJA Forum User
Just as the title says, could a bad head gasket lead to an oil leak?

I have a decent amount of oil running down the back part of the oil pan and front of the inspection plate on the transmission. I just replaced the valve cover gasket and oil filter adapter o-rings this summer. There is no oil coming from below the valve cover and head so im almost positive its not leaking from there. It could be coming from the oil filter adapter, but the block is 'oily' right below where the head meets the block....hence why I think the head gasket may be leaking.

The coolant looks fine and the oil looks like regular oil (no milky or cream color). Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Just as the title says, could a bad head gasket lead to an oil leak?

I have a decent amount of oil running down the back part of the oil pan and front of the inspection plate on the transmission. I just replaced the valve cover gasket and oil filter adapter o-rings this summer. There is no oil coming from below the valve cover and head so im almost positive its not leaking from there. It could be coming from the oil filter adapter, but the block is 'oily' right below where the head meets the block....hence why I think the head gasket may be leaking.

The coolant looks fine and the oil looks like regular oil (no milky or cream color). Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

That same thing happened to me! It sucks!

I have the same thing I was told some thing about not a lot of clamping force on that side of the head. cuse I wanted to just re toque the bolts and was told probly wont work

Lots of people will jump right to rear main seal, but I've seen quite a few leaks at the back of the valve cover that ran down the bellhousing and looked exactly like a rear main. So I recommend trying the valve cover first. I use the Permatex black rubber in the squirt can.

Lots of people will jump right to rear main seal, but I've seen quite a few leaks at the back of the valve cover that ran down the bellhousing and looked exactly like a rear main. So I recommend trying the valve cover first. I use the Permatex black rubber in the squirt can.

I cant tell right now if its the rear main or not...I do know that its leaking where the head and block meet though (which leads me to believe its the head gasket). I just did the valve cover gasket in the summer with the rubber kind (not the cork) and so far I havnt had any leaks from that.

Is it a big issue if I let it go for a little bit leaking like it is? My oil level is fine and there are no traces of oil in the coolant. I guess my biggest concern is driving it on my 2 hour drive back or forth to school and having it completely let loose. It would need to last about 2.5 months before my spring break when I can rip it all apart.

Thanks for you help guys!

Go to your local mechanic and see if he has an oil additive that reacts to black light and then trace the leak to the source. i had to do that to make sure it was my headgasket

Back