• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High pitched noise under the hood

Zeke23

NAXJA Forum User
This just started over the weekend...it was very quiet then but its gotten much louder over the past few days.

It is some sort of whine/whistle that is coming from the area around the left side of the engine...

It only happens when idling...it goes away if I put on the least bit of gas.
It is more of a high pitched whine at idle but as soon as I put on gas it turns into a whistle for an instant and then goes away.

Any ideas?

Your engine bay gnome has gotten himself stuck in something. The noises are his moaning then shrieking in pain just before going into shock and passing out. If you don't save him, he WILL eventually get himself free and really screw something up as revenge!

Your engine bay gnome has gotten himself stuck in something. The noises are his moaning then shrieking in pain just before going into shock and passing out. If you don't save him, he WILL eventually get himself free and really screw something up as revenge!

Maybe if you are good to him he will eat some of the gremlins, but probably not... They usually live in harmony

Check the big rubber hose (air intake) at or around the throttle body and/or vac hoses in that area for a crack or gap. Check all the vac connections at the airbox and manifold.

Repair/replace as necessary

Check the idler pulley bearings. I had one that dried up on me and made a loud high pitch whine at idle. If you have a mechanic's stethoscope it'll help you pinpoint the noise.

Back