• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 xj after market keyless entry wiring

98XJMudDog

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and can't seem to find the answer to what I am looking for. I talked to two dealerships, one gave me a line about how they can't tell me due to that's how they get paid and the other told me what they thought but they wern't sure on the answer. This is kind of lengthy.... My apology!

Anyways, my question is, is what style door locks are used on a 98 cherokee?

Are they a posotive trigger or a negative trick lock setup or what?

From what I can figure out by probing the circuitry is that it takes a posotive charge to lock and un lock the doors but I could be wrong.

I am trying to figure this out because I am trying to install aftermarket keyless entry system. Thank you for your help!
I really do not want to fry something so I am trying to figure out so I can wire up the relays right!

I hope someone can help me with some acurate info and or some accurate resources! Thanks!

I'm in the middle (well, actually on hold) with a similar install plus remote start. I have the '98 FSM in front of me, two wires accessible under drivers side kick panel. OR/VT and PK/VT, lock/unlock respectively, I believe ground acuated.

Yeah that's what I am doing. Keyless/security with auto start. It does apear that it is ground actuated. It has two posotive charges one for lock one for unlock and when one or the other is grounded to anything it will either lock or unlock based on the perspective wire being ground. But this door lock setup needs a couple of relays. And I am trying to figure out what relay setup to use/what type of actuation is used. Posotive or negative or what not. Based on the two pos. Charges needing to be ground out. So I know where on the right track coming up with the same data.

Well I went to my local circuit city and they told me that it is a 5 wire reverse polarity. Does this sound right to anyone? It seems right to me. Now that I think about the details to my testing.

Back