• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I want to modify my XJ for better towing

RIVER RAT

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 XJ 4 door with the 4.0 and an automatic. I've been using it to tow boats and flat trailers upto around 3500 pounds. The only problem I have (suprise suprise) is getting stopped. I see all kinds of suggestions for converting the rear drums to disc using Grand Cherokee parts, but is it possible to also upgrade the front discs to the Grand Cherokee system? Also I've gotten different input on the transmission I don't believe it's the A904 (I think they only used them behind the 4 cylinder) I think it's some kind of AW (?) I know that I've towed around 3000 miles with it this summer and no trans problems ( fluid is still red ) and it ran good. Finally I would also like to get slightly stiffer rear springs but not lift the jeep alot or have it ride like a buckboard. Any input would be useful and appreciated.
I'm not asking for too much all at once am I?

Thanks,
Chris

Re: I WANT TO MODIFY MY XJ FOR BETTER TOWING

The trans is the AW4, and if you have any intentions of doing any towing, your first order of business should be to get a trans cooler plumbed in to it. Personally, I don't think I'd plan on towing much more than 3500 lbs. The XJ is just too light to do it safely.

The trans is the AW4, and if you have any intentions of doing any towing, your first order of business should be to get a trans cooler plumbed in to it. Personally, I don't think I'd plan on towing much more than 3500 lbs. The XJ is just too light to do it safely.

Sorry, should have mentioned Trans cooler and PS cooler are on it.:thumbup:

Try better quality rotors and pads for the front, something like Hawk Pads and Frozen Rotors. Install disks on the rear.

Try using the Advanced Search, lots of people have already posted their brake upgrade results.

An Add A leaf or some heavy duty replacement springs from Quadratec will help.

If you're concern is getting stopped I wouldn't worry about upgrading the Cherokee's brakes. Rather, invest in a good brake controller. Any trailer over 3,500 pounds loaded capacity should have brakes.

I'd say that any trailer behind an XJ over 2,000 lbs. should have brakes. Some states require that, IL being one.

I highly recommend Tekonsha Prodigy controllers.

So today or tomorrow I might have to resort to using my bro's 2dr 2wd w/ class 3 hitch and a dolly to tow a 96 4dr 4wd 20mi. I know it's not advisable, but I can't turn down a $150 XJ in exc shape, save for a blown headgasket/holy radiator(I have a 75k 96 long block if there's more carnage), and it has to leave the dealer's lot asap.

So today or tomorrow I might have to resort to using my bro's 2dr 2wd w/ class 3 hitch and a dolly to tow a 96 4dr 4wd 20mi. I know it's not advisable, but I can't turn down a $150 XJ in exc shape, save for a blown headgasket/holy radiator(I have a 75k 96 long block if there's more carnage), and it has to leave the dealer's lot asap.

Geez, how come I never fall into those troubles?:bawl:

I got it today for $160 and had it towed by AAA for $110(I know I lost out on $60 plus the thrill factor, but I thought AAA was gonna be free). I tried cranking it and it blew the dipstick out from all the pressure in the bottom end, so that's not good. The body is in excellent shape: driver's door is pushed in a little where the molding is, but can be pushed back out if you remove the door panel; no rust on the floorpan. red w/ black bottom 96 sport 128K, 4wd, AW4, pw, pl, p mirrors, rear defrost/wiper, factory tint, ABS(don't like the 35). I have the good 96 block w/ 72K I pulled out to put my stroker in that's been sitting in a shed since May, so hopefully it didn't deteriorate too much(ports/holes are all duct-taped). Anyhow this was another craigslist score--The 96 I bought for my dad a couple months ago was $600, the 93 I found for my brother was $600, and the 97 Country I found for my roommate was $1000.

X2 on the Firestone air bags and install a trans temp gauge. Any I repeat ANY modern Jeep should have trailer brakes for any trailer over 2000lbs in any state. I think it even says that in the owners manual also the Cherokee 4.0 is rated for 5000lbs or 25 ft and I have towed that no problem. Just don't be in a hurry and don't think your going to out pull the diesels on the hills because it's not going to happen.

My post from this thread,I also have a very large trans cooler!
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=975097&highlight=ouray
I installed a set of Cragar Slotted/Crossdrilled Cryogenicly treated rotors and their Extreme Truck/Tow pads just before my trip to Ouray,Co. this summer. I almost lost my brakes coming into Telluride(the rotors were over 400*,I had my infared thermometer with me for evaluating purposes),Im totally convinced my stock rotors would not have survived(BTW,this was towing my 3000# camp trailer that has electric brakes).I did this conversion based on my previous towing experiances.

X2 trailer brakes.
Let the XJ stop itself and the trailer do the same. But if you still want to upgrade the XJ brakes think about a booster/master. I believe your 91 will benefit from this upgrade. Got to be 50 post on this upgrade to, Rear disk upgrade maybe helpful if you running big tires and in that case may be needed towing or not.
Some kind of rad upgrade maybe needed. But my stock rad did fine in 107 F towing 4200 LB. I just couldn't; use the AC.
Change oil at 3500 miles MAX and (IMO) change ATF every 20k cooler or not.
If you double the weight of the XJ (XJ and trailer) your stopping distance needs to be about 4 times longer using just the XJ brakes. This is true for ANY car. Unless you like lighting your smokes off your rotors.

a 91 xj can be modified for better towing with the following:

replace single diaphram brake booster with a dual diaphram booster from 95+ XJ, ZJ or WJ
ZJ or KJ rear disks + proportioning valve
WJ front brakes
larger than factory trans cooler (NOT the one that goes into the radiator- its not a good cooler)
trans temp guage
electric trailer brake controller
trailer brakes
lower gears on the xj

a search on the above topics will give a wealth of information

forget it, just put it 4-lo and pull the front shaft you'lle get there:farmer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darky
I'm a black man and don't want Obama in office. I would love to have a black president, but I don't like Obama. I think all the people saying you're racist if you don't like Obama are racist. Whatever happened to equality? Look at the candidate for their leadership skills not how much melanin they happen to have.

What does this have to do with my brakes? I'm confused that someone would mix politics with mechanics:explosion

Bigger brake booster off a newer Jeep. Rear Disc from an 8.8 or ZJ's d-35.
+ 1 ton overloads from a ford or chevy fullsize truck held my XJ a ton towing and doesnt affect it on the street.
Then just make sure you have some good shocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darky
I'm a black man and don't want Obama in office. I would love to have a black president, but I don't like Obama. I think all the people saying you're racist if you don't like Obama are racist. Whatever happened to equality? Look at the candidate for their leadership skills not how much melanin they happen to have.

What does this have to do with my brakes? I'm confused that someone would mix politics with mechanics:explosion

i dont see a post from darky in this thread. maybe im just blind:dunno:

Back