• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Small hood-pin write-up

bobfortier

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all

This is my first contribution to the site. Please pardon my english, i'm french-canadian, and english is my second language. I had a stuck hood cable, and since I'm not that patient to begin with, once I was able to open the hood I decided that hood pin where in order.

First I removed the two catch and I cutted the ``hooks``, and re-assembled.

Hoodpin002.jpg

Hoodpin007.jpg

Next I positionned where I wanted the hood pin, and I wrote my measures with a grease pen (wax pen?), in my case 1 1/4 and 2 3/8.

Hoodpin008.jpg

Hoodpin011.jpg

good pins same as mine
DSC03146.jpg

DSC03148.jpg

Here is the pin. I had to buy washers and lock-washers in order to assure that the pin will not move. here is the ``recipe``

Hoodpin017.jpg

Using a block of wood under the hood, I was able to finish the holes

Hoodpin018.jpg

Here is the first try, I ajusted the lenght of each bolts, then I put on the protector that came with the kit. I used some RTV to seal the freshly cut hole, and I also ``glued`` the protector with RTV.

Hoodpin019.jpg

Hoodpin021.jpg

Here is the final result. I hope this willl help someone.

Hoodpin023.jpg

you might want to throw a little primer on those holes before that nice clean jeep ends up rusting and chipping away. i know it isnt much, but the smaller holes was the worst on my jeep.

If I remember correctly, hood pins are worth 8.716 h.p.
Way to go!

The hood pins are not just bling.

Hood pins can save your rig in case of an engine fire. There are several first hand reports of fires melting the cable before the rig could be stopped and the hood opened for the fire extinguisher used.

Bobfortier:
Nice job on the installation and a good write up.

John

I love my hood pins, I need to go back and touch up some areas but no more broken cable. My only concern with those little wire ties on them is that they could catch branches and possibly pull out the pins while wheeling if in tight wooded areas.

I have been thinking of doing this to my rig, but I drive it to a company parking lot when I go to work, and it sits there for 30 days. Would make it too easy for someone to get into the engine bay while I was gone.

theyre made by 'autofab', theyre widely availably locally here in socal. you can probably get em shipped from ORW... (i dont know of any other online sources)

http://www.offroadwarehouse.com/ or even http://www.kartek.com/

the only way to go! theyre rubber so you have positive engagement.
just avoid the white ones, they get dirty quick.

one downside is you have a drill a larger hole then the other kind, the rubber plug goes into the hood.
ive used the same metal hole saw on like 5 jeeps, and i allmost have the method down pat.

one of the biggest reasons for me to go over to pins, is how i constantly hit my head on that latch.... its a MUST go in my eyes... this presents a problem as that latch is what hits the spring mechanism... what i ended up doing is like what 256offroad posted here works better then you'd think, combine that w/ a hood opener strut, and your good to go...
a small padlock would go through these quite easily, should you need long term peice of mind.

Back