• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My vibe problem - pictures of pinion angles and opinions needed.

w0mps

NAXJA Forum User
I am still getting vibes at all speeds, and it sounds worse on acceleration. I shimmed my rear 4* and have yet to adjust the front pinion angle. I have two BRAND NEW custom shafts in, front and rear. I know they are pictures so it may be hard to tell, but let me know what you think of the angles.

Front @ Axle 1
ft1.jpg

Front @ Axle 2
ft2.jpg

Rear @ SYE 1
rr1.jpg

Rear @ SYE 2
rr2.jpg

Rear @ Axle
rr3.jpg

they look alright to me... any one else

they look ok from the pics, hard to tell. Remove the front shaft and drive, if vibe goes away(or lessens) that is the(part of) problem, that would be a good first step would be to try and isolate the vibe. Good luck!

i always set my rear @2-4degrees down at rest.
that way, when you accelerate it will be pretty much perfect. when they sit perfectly inline at stand still, your pinion anlge will be off by quite a bit.
hard to tell from the pics, but throw an angle finder on the driveshaft and the pinion, see what ye got.
the front isnt normally too much of an issue with a good shaft, unless welded. i agree with removing the front shaft and driving. if no different, remove the rear shaft and put it in 4 hi, and test again. ahh the joys of a sye huh?:thumbup:
martin

Front looks to high,rear is close,actual numbers would be "priceless".Guessing doesnt work!
When did the vibes start?How much lift/what lift?Who's driveshafts?

Last edited:
Degrees up or down,usually its best to give the numbers separate(driveshaft-*up or down/pinion-* up or down). "A" shop,that says "alot",did they do a high speed computer balance?

Supposedly they did. They even told me to take them to a drive shaft shop and get them checked and if they are off balance, they will pay to get them balanced. I got them from Adam's driveshaft out of Henderson, NV.

by the time you keep writing that your pinions are within 2 degrees of each other, which by the way is pretty useless information, you could have removed one of the driveshafts.
removing a shaft will point the finger at which end the vibes are coming from. lot easier to pinpoint a problem when you know which end, front or rear, to look at huh?
could be a pinion bearing, pinion angle, shaft out of balance, bad u joint (yeah i know, they are new but it happens), and so on.
so stop repeating yourself and go yank a shaft!:laugh:
BTW, statements like " my driveshaft is at 23 degress, and my pinion is at 20 degrees" are a LOT more uselfull that "2 degrees of each other".....

martin

Ahh okay, sorry about the repeating. My rear pinion is at 13*, my rear shaft is at 15*. My front pinion is at 9*, my front shaft is at 10*.

Ahh okay, sorry about the repeating. My rear pinion is at 13*, my rear shaft is at 15*. My front pinion is at 9*, my front shaft is at 10*.
the front is a little high IMO, but shouldnt cause a major issue. i come from building yj's with soa lifts, so unfortunately know all about pinion angles and vibes....:laugh:
i still think that pulling a driveshaft will be your best bet though. just for sake of elimination.

keep me posted

martin

Back