• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this connection?

jeepster_259

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I know this is going to be hard to do it without pictures, but my camera is broken. I'll try and describe it as best as possible.

I was trying to take off the bolt that holds the dipstick on and ended up snapping off an electrical connector in the process. The connector is located right above the oil filter, just inside of the distributor. At first I thought it was attached to the distributor, but upon closer look, it connects directly into the engine block. The wires lead back towards the firewall approx. 6" and go into a larger wire loom in the wiring harness.

I sheared off the connector directly where it attaches to the engine block. It looks like there is a metal piece on the block that is part of the connection that can be unscrewed and replaced, but I haven't tried it yet. I just want to know what it is before I make things worse than they are! I will try to get some pics ASAP. If anyone has any idea what I'm talking about, I'd appreciate it!

without pictures it is hard to tell for sure, but i believe it is the wire from the oil pressure sending unit. do you have an oil pressure guage? is it working?

Look like this?
2900582386_8efaa7b577.jpg

that's it! I sheared it off right at the metal part to the right in the picture. I didn't dare start the Jeep after I did it not being sure if it was related to the oil pump. i didn't want to risk blowing the engine.

Can that metal part be replaced as the plastic connector is attached to it?

that's it! I sheared it off right at the metal part to the right in the picture. I didn't dare start the Jeep after I did it not being sure if it was related to the oil pump. i didn't want to risk blowing the engine.

Can that metal part be replaced as the plastic connector is attached to it?

Good thing you didn't start the Jeep. That's the oil pressure senderand you may have had a mess to clean up. Go to the local parts house, get a replacement and then install, not too difficult.

ok, so it's called the oil pressure sender? Will it be harmful to the engine if I start it like that or just be a mess? Is it simply unscrewing that metal part and screwing a new one on?

if you just broke the electrical portion of the sensor, you should be fine running it like that. in either case, there won't be any damage to run it (as long as you don't loose all your oil). there's only one way to tell for sure. and yes, just unscrew and reinstall. if the engine is cold, all the oil should be in the pan, so you shouldn't have to drain it.

Yes, oil pressure sending unit, simple remove and replace. The parts store will ask you if you have an idiot light or a gauge for your oil pressure. Won't be harmfull to engine, but I wouldn't go far (as in just move within your driveway), you will lose oil quickly, then your engine will be harmed/ruined.

Back