• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

POWER OUTLET WIRING

GHOST-RIDER

NAXJA Forum User
I keep blowing the fuse for the poweroutlet and cigarette lighter. I use these outlet for my phone charger and my overhead flashing amber lights. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this? This is for a '99 xj sport, sorry about that.

i would imagine that you could safly bump the fuse one step up. you dont have anything hard wired in do you? was the amber lights designed to use the lighter?

Your amber overhead lights may be drawing too much current blowing the fuse.I would replace the fuse, and not hook the amber lights back into it, just the cell phone charger. Run a seperate fused power wire for the overhead lights and have them on there own circuit. Just my $.02. However, you could up the fuse and risk burning up/ catching your wiring on fire and burning the jeep to the ground.

My '98's rated at 20 amp, if you have a West Marine boat store nearby they're an awesome source for hd elect. parts, they have a great accessory power outlet w/locking male connector, complete w/nice sano bezel.

Sorry for not enough detail. I have unpluged everything from the outlets, and it still HARD blows a 25amp fuse as soon as it is installed. Obviously I have a dead short. I was a master mechanic for many years so I know how to diagnos the problem, was just wondering if anyone has a wiring diagram to see what all is on the circuit causing the draw. Nothing else in the truck seems to be dead at this time (dome lights, power accy's, etc.)
I am just looking for a short cut to avoid slicing open the harness and tracking the wires. Thanks for the replies!!!

GhostRider, I would bet dollars to doughnuts that your dead short is in the receptacle itself. The center terminal is the positive, and the circular housing serves as the negative ground. You're probably shorting between the two. I'd suggest checking that before chasing down the wiring.....

Back