• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gas tank leak

muddshutter

NAXJA Forum User
So, i am finishing up the HEEP and i finaly get it out of the garage. I have been smelling a faint gas smell for weeks.

I drive 5 miles to get gas, get the high dollar gas for my maiden voyage with my stroker, and i get to 13.5 gallons.

I hear gas spilling over so i cut off the pump and go in and pay.

I come out and its still gushing out. Its coming from the area that is blocked off with the 6" dia plug that has the fuel lines going to it. I drive back to the shop and its still leaking.

Does anyone know part numbers on the seal(s), a write up on it? Is this a common problem, help?

I have an 88 MJ short bed, stroker.

don't have the numbers but go to NAPA and ask for a fuel pump locking ring and the oring, it's about 3 bucks, the dealer wanted something like 50 or 60 when I checked and the napa part is thicker and better.
strange that it would leak without being disturbed. Mine elaked after a fuel pump install

remember to lube(grease or vasiline) when u put in the gasket(o-ring)

the lube is so u dont rip the oring when u pit it in, it goes under a lot of pressure when its installed and breaks easy.

like mentioned above just grease it, center it in the channel and retry, probably all you need, though I find the napa lock ring to be much better than the OE, my oe bent all to hell

If the O-ring is fat, it can be hard to get all three ears of the lockring to go in. Make sure you didn't miss one when you reinstalled. The tabs or ears on the lockring have a slight bevel on them, and I've found it can help to file the bevel a little sharper. X2 on the grease. It makes the job much easier and prevents the O-ring from squirming out of shape under pressure. And do use brass or aluminum to drive the ring on, especially if you have a leak currently. A spark is not at all desirable here!

Inspect carefully before taking it apart. A common problem on MJs is for the tubes to break loose where they go thriugh the metal plate. The plate can be correctely seated and sealed in the tank and gas still leaks out.

Various MJ owners have addressed it using epoxy or J-B Weld around the perimeter of the tubes at the flange plate.

Back