• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock limited slip cryco 8.25

moore994

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 93 xj sport with the 8.25 in the back and the factory "limited slip". recently it's started making popping noises when I'm coasting and making slight turns (like into a left hand turn lane). It's definitely coming from the rear axle so the "limited slip" seems the most likely culprit. My first thought was to just go to the junkyard and grab an open carrier but I've never had to guage the tolerances and backlash on a diff before. My question is if I simply take out and rebuild the "limited slip" do I have to reguage my back lash and such, or can just mark where everything lines up so it goes back together the exact same way it came apart?

I know the stock limited slip is pretty much worthless even brand new but if it saves me the time and effort and beer it would cost to get my brother in law to rebuild the whole Diff then...

If your doing the the junk yard swap take the whole axle .

Good Luck

Nick

Are they not just rebuildable with new clutch packs ? I had one put in my wifes 97ZJ last winter when it got new new gears and bearings, the factory LSD was $25 more than the stock open carrier which was shot. It made a big difference here in the snow, it's the wifes and she did notice it, so I don't consider it useless.

They are rebuildable, it's like a 50 dollar kit. I'm just curious if i have to redo the backlash and such when I put the diff back together.
Yes,you will need to reset the backlash,so make sure to measure it first.Its also a good idea to pull a pattern first.

Back