• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any ideas????

StaleAle

NAXJA Forum User
OK so TPS sensor one goes out a year ago and I replace it. TPS sensor number two takes a dive about a month ago so I replace it. Engine starts to feel funny while driving (holding RPMs and not shifting at correct points), trips a code and it said that the TPS circuit voltage was low. I take back to AutoZone and they warranty it. I install TPS number three and everything is good for about a week and then same issue and code. I take it back and they warranty it again. I install TPS number four about 5 days ago and everything is fine............ until yesterday. Jeep starts to bog down at WOT and is holding shift points again...... triggers code but this time it is PPS..... I pull of the wire connector from the PPS and clean it. Start it up and high idle and trips another code....... TPS circuit low....

When I start the Jeep it idles at around 1200 - 1300 (to high normal is around 800) when in PARK. When I put a load on it and put it into drive the idle comes down to normal..... but even after being driven and put back to park it increases idle.

The exhaust manifold does have the usual XJ hairline crack but nothing serious.

The RPMs at load make me think there is a vac leak someplace but I can't seem to find one.

Could I just have really crappy luck with AutoZone?

Any help is much appreciated!

1999 XJ 4.0, AX4.

Sounds like a vacuum leak or it could be the idle air control.

Try to spray some carb cleaner under the hood and when the idle stabilizes you have found the vacuum leak.

Sounds like a vacuum leak or it could be the idle air control.

Try to spray some carb cleaner under the hood and when the idle stabilizes you have found the vacuum leak.

I tried the carb cleaner trick and came up with nothing. Maybe it is a circuit problem. Any one have a schematic so I can test continuity?

Went out and started it up and it now idle is holing at 3500 RPM. When put in drive it drops to about 2500 RPM. I sprayed carb cleaner and found no vac leaks. I checked for anything loose with the peddle and nothing looks unusual. I am at a loss here. I will try replacing the other TB sensors tomorrow. Fuel filter is OK.

Any other thoughts guy's????

Back