• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another power window problem

pSYChedXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Haven't seen this one described yet. Driver's side window goes up and down with no problem. Once the window reaches the full up position, it starts making this horrible knocking noise against the window coming from inside the door. That continues for as long as you hold down the button. Still, no problems going up or down (yet).

Any clues as to why the motor keeps running and what's making that knocking noise against the window?

Thanks,

- Jay

I just swapped out the window motor/regulator in my '99 xj. It was doing the same thing. I found a used one for $25 from someone parting out a 2000. It works great now. I read that a plastic gear was probably the cause and if I let it go too long, the window will end up stuck down. I haven't pulled it apart to see.

bjlinma said:
I just swapped out the window motor/regulator in my '99 xj. It was doing the same thing. I found a used one for $25 from someone parting out a 2000. It works great now. I read that a plastic gear was probably the cause and if I let it go too long, the window will end up stuck down. I haven't pulled it apart to see.

Gotcha, guess I'll start looking for replacements. How much of a pain in the a$$ was the swap?

jay, talk to avanteone, he normally has parts jeeps, and might be able to get u a motor

Jay2000XJ said:
Gotcha, guess I'll start looking for replacements. How much of a pain in the a$$ was the swap?
swap took me about 45 minutes. It is very simple. BTW, my drivers side has been doing what you described for the past 3 years. I am just letting the sucker go until it stops functioning. Simple enough to replace so that if it ever gets stuck down, no big deal. Definitely take this time to find a cheap/used replacement Regulator as a new one from the dealer will cost you roughly $140.00

If you replace it and can remember, post up what you think/know what the culprit was, I am curious.

Should have a used regulator by this time tomorrow (thanks Ladywolf :D)

Only thing that I find myself scratching my head at is "butly adhesive" that's mentioned in the FSM. It says that "butly adhesive" is used to attach the waterdam to the inner door panel. Just took a walk though the local auto store and those folks never heard of such a thing. Maybe Google will help me....:dunno:

Back