• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

violent bump on start-up and shut-down

feels like the engine is hitting something on start-up and down.

could it be the transmission?

feels like hitting a brick wall on start-up does the same on shut-down

maybe that description may help a lil better

what do you mean by "bump" you mean it jerks or lurches forward? And is it a 5spd, auto, and alittle info about the vehicle would help.

i installed new motor mounts not to long ago...

i'll look into the transmission mount.

I dont know how else to explain it its like the engine/car is hitting something on startup and shut-down. 1992 jeep cherokee laredo automatic

check your uca on the driver side on the frame mount...if it is loose or the bushiing is out it will do that. i had the same problem

I figured out why i was getting a bump on start-up. I thought id post the remedy. I installed an 170amp alternator in place of the original. This is slightly bigger than the stock and i had to fabricate a bracket for it to work. turns out the side of the alternator is rubbing on the Cherokees frame And that's why I was getting that bump on startup and shutdown. So Im gonna have to grind the bracket down (which i didn't want to do in the beginning) so the alternator doesn't hit the frame in order for me to use it or go back to stock.

Back