• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AALs, Bstrd Packs, Go cheap? - Spend $$$?

jsadamski

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a bone stock '93 sport with 33000 miles. Took out a yardstick and it measures to spec. This is my DD and want to lift for looks only. But I wonder if after lifting it I might not also enjoy wheeling as an additional benefit.

I've already scored a set of near new 30x9.5x15's BFG AT's. I am currently running them and get marginal rubbing when I hit bumps. But the decision to lift was made before the tire purchase.

And finally, I will also need the vehicle for some towing duty as I also own a small (16') aluminum fishing boat.

So my original lift solution was 2" coil spacers up front with a RC shackle providing 2" in the back. Cheap, yet enough to run the 30's that I bought.
But I really hate how low the stock XJ sits and I wonder if I'd be happy with a 2" lift. I've looked at photos but it's really hard to tell. As a result, I've been thinking of a 3" lift out the gate. I really don't have the time or money to be redoing it - I'd rather get it right the first time.

Since I'm not trying to remedy a sagging leaf pack, I'm wondering if an AAL wouldn't be a good solution. I can certainly understand the logic of not trying to solve your worn leaf pack problem with an AAL, but since my springs still lift according to spec - why not?

I recognize that the leaf packs are still approx 15 years old and have been supporting the weight of the vehicle for as long. So what do you think?

I've also considered Bstrd Packs. But what puzzles me about this is why would you want to remedy your lift problems by going to a boneyard and pulling leaf springs from a vehicle of unknown mileage and condition?

So here's where I'm at. Based on all of the reading that I've done, I'm leaning RE. I checked into RC and Rusty's, but by the time freight is factored in from RC and Rusty's, I'm close in price to RE (3"super lift with AAL's). Then I think, well if I'm going super lift, why not super flex for a few bucks more? Then why not add full leaf packs?

Would the super flex be overkill for a DD that will probably see minimal off road?

Should I save the money and go for the 2" coil spacer shackle setup? 2" doesn't sound like much, but I was pleased with what the larger tires did.

And none of this addresses my towing needs.

I have poured over these forums for weeks trying to figure this out on my own. I know I'm inviting a wide range of comments. Hopefully, your input will help me sort things out.

Thanks in advance.

And as a side, the site is a tremendous resource.

It sounds like you already have it all figured out. You will not get the quality of RE from a junkyard lift. It all depends on what you want to spend for your needs.

If you want more lift cheaply you could get some v8 zj coils and add the spacer and make a bastard pack either with or without a lift shackle.

The advantage of the bastard pack is you are getting leaves off a vehicle with the springs mounted under the axle which means the leaves have more arch---which will give a spring over axle more lift.

It all depends on how soft a ride you want. Often times a "junkyard lift" is comprised of springs meant for a heavier vehicle, which will give more lift but a harsh ride.

I really thing you should go with the RE, though they dont make a 3" kit, im assuming you are refering to the 3.5" kit? If so then yes this is the kit for you. Full packs would be a good idea, you will see soon enough that add-a-leafs are frowned upon for many reasons. If you can fork out the coin for the full packs, then I'd say get them. You wont need superflex though, it will ride "slightly" (and i mean slight, I doubt any one could notice the difference) nicer than the super flex and be cheaper since it uses rubber bushings.

Back