• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

loss of power after wheelin

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

well i finally finished up my XJ build today. 3-link, 44, 8.8, 5:13s, and 38s. took it wheelin behind the house, and it did pretty good. i got it stuck in a pretty deep mud/water hole, and was sitting in it for probably 8-10 mins before another jeep could pull me out. well i got out, and everything felt fine, and i went to start trying some hill climbs. well all of a sudden it felt like i had lost quite a bit of power. when i first started hitting the hills it would easily spin all 4 tires at the bottom of the hill during the approach, and after 5-6 attempts i was giving it more gas, and spinning less.

what ye think? water in the tranny....if so could i flush it once or twice and probably be good. as soon as i felt the power loss i brought it back to the house, and quit wheelin.

let it sit for a while and then drain off your engine and tranny oil and check to see if its milky looking(water loged). if not your probubly lookin for somethin electrical?

i got it stuck in a pretty deep mud/water hole, and was sitting in it for probably 8-10 mins...

Running or not?

If not (and maybe even if so) it could be as simple as mud clogging the tailpipe.

Just a thought.

Robert

It would help to know if the engine stalled and sat in water for 8 to 10 minutes or you kept it running.:eyes:

sorry...left it running. threw the tranny in neutral, and kicked back while they set up the winch. either way ill probably drain the tranny and possibly motor oil tomarrow

look at the trans fluid and the engine oil on the dipstick. its a quick and free way of checking to see if there is water in there. the dipstick will be coated in a foamy milky substance if there is water in there.

edit: also, are your breather lines extended up? if not, it may be something to look into if your into water and mud

Hows your power? Are your volts reading?

Could be an alternator going out, it'll run for a little bit but bog down pretty hard and die once you get into anything hard or turn on electrical stuff.

~Scott

Get the air cleaner wet? That will cut the nuts smooth off :)

I have had the same sort of thing happen, i drove through a mud hole and it bogged down alot, it alarmed me quite a bit. i thought it was maybe my distributor getting wet, or perhaps my alternator acting up (it doesnt like to get wet, and has had to be removed before to be cleaned in order to work properly).

I had the same symptoms as being described but after checking my vaccum lines (another possible cause) I noticed my alternator had a hole in it, due to my after market bumper mounts (I didn't trim a bolt I should have...lesson learned). Go figure. Check easy stuff first.

~Scott

ive had fuel injectors go out from being wet w/ antifreeze... does it feel like its running on all 6 cylenders?

you can test it by unplugging the electrical connection on each injector, one at a time, w/ the engine running.
when you disconnect the connection, the injector stops working, and you should hear the engine weaken..... if you dont hear any differance between it plugged in, and not plugged in... that injector aint working!

I'd do the Air filter check, I wheel with a spare here since it has become enough of an issue. Snorkles are fine and dandy so long as you tend to keep the water from shooting off the window and spashing into the intake. I have found that a wet airfilter will also cause my rig to run a tad hotter than it normally would.

well i checked the fluids this morning, and everything appeared fine. nothing milkly or foamy. im still definately changing the trans fluid, and probably the motor oil this week though. i cranked it back up this morning to wheel a little more and it was fine.

i doubt i got my airfilter wet because i do have a snorkel. but i guess it wouldn't hurt it to open my airbox and check that out, although thats all siliconed shut also.

well taking this thread in a little bit of a different direction.....id like to relocate my tranny and t-case breather hoses.

anybody know where to look for these, or where they come out at. also will i need to buy more hose, or can is it long enough to move up to the engine bay

thanks

I routed all mine to the air box. I have a main line ziptied to the fuel and brake hoses with tee's in it where each breather goes. I know that older military rigs would have a hookup to the crank case for fording streams and what not. It would take positive pressure from the case and pump it into the axles and drive train. The positive pressure would blow bubbles past the seals and keep water out. I thought it was pretty cool. But they do have to switch back off the positive pressure once they are done playing in the water and mud.

Back