• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition switch wont return to lock.

Mr.Shrek

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I swapped out my interior yesterday, dash and all. Everything except the steering column. I just unbolted it from the dash and then bolted it back up. Now the ignition switch will not return to the lock position. Any ideas guys?

There's a lockout cable on the shift lever. It prevents removing the key unless the shifter is in park. Check the cable and linkage.

I had this problem under different circumstances. The lock cylinder turns a gear which moves a piece of metal with teeth, which is attached to the ignition actuator rod. For some reason or another, the gear jumped a tooth and wouldn't let the metal piece go all the way forward preventing the key from going back to the lock position. So I took apart the whole column and reset the metal piece on the gear so it can turn all the way. In hindsight I realized it would've been MUCH easier to pull the whole column out to do this but that's 20/20. Hopefully I've explained myself well enough, I could dig up a few pictures if that would make things clearer.

Back