• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case removal for sye?

MONSTERxbla

NAXJA Forum User
I am about to order a tom woods sye for a 242 and am wondering if I'm better off just pulling the whole case or should I try to do while installed.

x2 unless you've had one apart before, you better remove it and do it on the bench. And remember where everything goes,dont lose or misplace any snaprings, I did this once.oops

Easier not to pull it, considering you don't have to fuss with the mount to the crossmember, the crossmember mounting to the unibody, nor the tcase mounting to the trans!

Having just installed a SYE in my 231, I'd honestly say leaving it in is MUCH easier especially if your doing it by yourself. I took it out to do my install, but it seemed like it was really just a waste of time/effort. I can say this because I had to tear it back down to find out why my shift rod wasn't moving, and decided to tear it back down on the rig to save time. It took only about 30 minutes to tear it down on the rig, compared to the 2+hrs trying to get the damn TC unbolted.

If your jeep is high enough to where you can comfortably work on it under the rig, I'd honestly just leave it in. Study various SYE install threads and memorize the steps, and you'll be fine. Having enough light makes ALL the difference as well!

The hardest part is really either A) Inserting the rear case half, fluid pump, and pickup tube as an assembly, or sliding on the pump later and trying to get the pickup tube inserted into the pump assembly. Literally! Oh and dealing with those lock rings on the output shaft.

The hardest part is really either A) Inserting the rear case half, fluid pump, and pickup tube as an assembly, or sliding on the pump later and trying to get the pickup tube inserted into the pump assembly. Literally! Oh and dealing with those lock rings on the output shaft.

I found that putting a little silicon on the pickup tube before inserting it into the oil pump helps A LOT to hold it in. That is definetly the most annoying part of the reassembily IMO, and the TC would surely be destroyed if that pickup wasn't firmly inserted into the pump.

I've done it on my Jeep and inserted the pump later, had to finangle with a screwdriver top get the tube into the pump but I got it to fully seat.

Tried to do it as an assembly on a local Jeeper's XJ (install the case half, pump, and pickup tube by myself and try to perfectly side the pump over the output shaft) and it was just too hard so I said the hell with it and did it the same way I did on my XJ. Fully seated there as well.

Easier not to pull it, considering you don't have to fuss with the mount to the crossmember, the crossmember mounting to the unibody, nor the tcase mounting to the trans!

x2 Way easier not to pull it. In fact, for the 242 SYE kit, Tom Wood recommends leaving the TC in the vehicle. There's just no good reason to remove it unless you're planning on rebuilding it while you're installing the SYE kit. Be sure you have snap ring pliers that open to at least 1" as they will make the install go much smoother.

Oh, and leaving it in place (in addition to the list above) also allows you to not have to fuss with your front driveshaft or shift linkage. It all just stays bolted up to the TC during the install.

X3 on leaving it in!! It's not that hard. There really is no reason to take the whole TC out. Other than to be able to stand up. But hey, that's why they made creepers!!!

Back