• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bumper Question

96xjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I am picking up a rear Daystar tube bumper tomorrow and was wondering if it will be a sufficiant rear extraction point? If not wht will it take to make it a solid recover point.
This is the bumper:
11412b14b3k93mf3pc8cl3eafbcaf24771d7c.jpg

1fc13414a3n83k23of8cl8cb45421bc83182c.jpg

Sorry this is going on a 92 XJ with 6 1/2 Rusty's LA lift and 35's

Picture001_238030.jpg

7907815.jpg

how does it mount. i would assume that it already having a reciever, should be good for a light tug or two.

I am picking up a rear Daystar tube bumper tomorrow and was wondering if it will be a sufficiant rear extraction point? If not wht will it take to make it a solid recover point.
This is the bumper:
11412b14b3k93mf3pc8cl3eafbcaf24771d7c.jpg

1fc13414a3n83k23of8cl8cb45421bc83182c.jpg

Not with the stock mounting points,buy a real bumper!

It has 4 bolts mounting to the rear "crossmember" and two bolts going underneith where the hitch would be (thats 6 bolts on each side)

Some pictures of how a "real" rear bumper mounts would be great so I can make this bumper work for my application

What the previous post was trying to explain, was with the 4 bolts that bolt this bumper to the rear cross member on each side, this is not a very solid extraction point mounting brackets for HEAVY tugging.

You also stated that is has to inner connectors?

You could run this bumper and use your rear receiver for heavy tugging, this system uses the 3-4 bolts up on the rear frame for solid mounting.

Am I making any king of sense?

Mac

A hitch receiver bolts up using nutstrips inside the uniframe, with 4 bolts on each side. This makes a "sandwich" with the nutstrip, the uniframe, then the receiver frame below.

What it has is the 4 bolts going to the Cross memebr then 2 bolts that go to the unibody frame similar to how the hitch would mount. If it needs more than this thats fine. I plan on adding to this but not sure how or where yet. So are you saying make a C Channel that wraps around the Unibody fram and bolt through the frame for more strenth?

I don't think it will work weith the hitch thats why I got it so cheap . So I want to remove the hitch and reenforce the bumper mounts to make it stout enough for recovery use.

My uni-rails have been cracked after a hard hit off a ledge and I am going to make a 3/16 flat strap sandwich that runs on the outside of the uni-rails. I might even plate the whole thing with 1/8 or 3/16. Just an idea

OK guys after the actual install today I see why you all said it isn't sufficiant for many pulls. I am going to leave it as is till next week. I will be wheeling next Sat with it. Right now there qare 10 Grade 8 Bolts and big A$$ washers holding it on. Nex week I am going to weld a few more tubes on it and fab a lenth of angle iron to make several more bolts into the "cross member" then I am going to ron 2 strips of flat stock back along the "frame Rail" to make additional reenforcment. I think with the existing 10 bolts, the 3-4 more I will put into the cross member and the 2 more on each side I will make for the "Fram rail" it should be sufficiant.

Does this sound better to you guys?

For what it's worth the bumper looks awsome on the jeep with the Rusty's front Tube bumper/winch mount

You need to do this to your frame!! Then all your problems with strenght will dissapear!!

fab4.jpg

fab3.jpg

fab2.jpg

fab.jpg

nice3.jpg

I had a huge heavy bumper on there with the 32" spare tire swing out carrier. Too much for the weak frame. So I wrapped it in 3/16" steel strap, sides and bottom, cut out holes to weld to the original frame itself, fabbed new rear leaf mounts outta 3/16", and then for fun I extended the new steel out the back to have something beefy to weld the rear bumper onto.

I like it!!

May be a bit beyond my welding skills but very nice.

I want to box the whole frame in but it may take me some time

It toook about 3 days from start to finish. Totally worth it though.

Back