• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny cooler line

maxxpehling

NAXJA Forum User
I blew one of my tranny cooler quick fittings right underneath the radiator the other night. I'd like to just cut out the fitting and hose clamp the soft line over the hard line. Im sure other people have had those fittings blow before, just looking for some input.

You can either cut the fitting off the hose and jam it back on with a clamp. That end is not flared so you may want to double clamp it. I ran with mine for 3 years like that, no problems.

You can also just cut the hose fitting off leaving it ready for a barb fitting (more secure). You'd have to cut the metal line as well and slide a flare fitting on to it, flare the end with a flare tool and attach a barb for the hose.

All my hoses are rubber now except for the part that screws in to the radiator and the tranny.

OPTION #1

th_Front.jpg

or

OPTION #2

th_trans001-1.jpg

Something like this (I added a tranny cooler and temp gauge)

do you have bigger photos? it looks like option 2 has a trans temp gauge which I want to do as well. I did the 1-2 lock and trans lockup switch and have been leary of trying them out until I have a gauge.

and to clarify. if I cut my hard line, and cut the rubber hose, basically removing the fitting. the rubber line will fit fairly snug OVER the hard line? I dont have a problem doubling up on hose clamps.

cut/slide/double clamp. Will be fine. My trans cooler is spliced in this way. I also got a cherokee for 250 because the previous owner could not figure out how to do this and believed the shop when they said it would be $1k to fix

I kept my quick disconnects but I had one of the crimped on fittings where the metal line turns into a rubber line leaking, so I just cut that off and double clamped the line. Didn't even flare, about 2 years later and it is holding just fine and dandy.

When I swapped the radiator in a parking lot I didn't have this site or any other help. I just used a single clamp on a barb "L", but it leaks a little. I'm not sure if adding another clamp will matter.

ooohhhhh, i likey. do enighten us some more

Afte I had the same thing happen as maxxpehling 20 miles from the nearest pavement and 40 miles from the nearest parts store. I fixed the tranny line on the trail by just cutting the fitting off and jamming back on with a clamp.

When I went to the parts store at home I was thoroghly pissed off at not be able to find the correct parts. So since it wasn't leaking I just let it stay that way.

3 years later I replaced the radiator and added an HD tranny cooler I also added the temp sender and gauge. The guy in the plumbing dept. at the hardware store hooked me up with this setup. I bypassed the radiator connection altogther at first and just ran the tranny lines through the cooler. Great in the summer but when winter came along my tranny temps barely got to 100F so I re-routed the hoses and added regular brass fittings at all the connections.

Much tighter, no leaks, a hell of a lot cheaper than factory connections and EASILY replaceable. I also know that if it craps out on me on the trail or out in the boonies I can fix it without messing with the factory "Quick-Discos". I also don't have to futz around with bending or routing metal lines.

...on to a shameless mini hi-jack...

There was a post awhile by where 5-90 chimed in about a thermal switch that would allow the tranny fluid to run through the radiator when it needed a warm up but would shut it out of the loop in warmer weather. If anyone knows about that I'd love to try it because I still think running it through the radiator in 100F weather defeats the purpose of a "cooler"

what about running a seperate cooler? Advance auto has a aftermarket cooler for as low as $30. I dont know where you'd mount it though

I do have a separate cooler. Mine did come with a small cooler about 3" x 12?"(towing pkg.) but I upgraded to a larger 10" X 12" cooler. The hose routing is still the same but no quick fittings on the cooler, just rubber to cooler w/clamps. Mounted in front of radiator behind grill. Works great.

At least one of the sides of the "T" has to be attached to one of the metal lines to give the gauge a ground. I tried it with ruber to T to rubber and that did not work.

So a flared end on the metal line with a barb fitting adapter for the hose allows you to be grounded. Thus the brass fitting.

Back