• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Jeep...what do i look at?

Double_ot_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Im new to this forum and i was wondering what things should i keep in mind as i approach 72000 miles. i just bought a 2000 Se from a dealer and have no prior maintenance records for my 4.0l. i do plan on doing a full tune up in the coming new year. plugs, wires, switch to Amsoil and filter, all other fluids, air, fuel filters. anything else i should look at for my stock XJ? all help will be greatly appreciated.

Brakes. Don't forget the fluid.

If you're really worried, do a compression & leakdown test on all cylinders.

Full fluid change including axles and transfer case. Auto trans gets fluid & filter change. From the northeast, check the brake lines under the vehicle. I picked up an XJ from the new york area that had swiss cheese for brake lines, replaced them along with a bunch of stuff.

Mark

Definitely check the transfer case fluid... I drove my 96 for about 2 months before checking it and couldn't figure out why 4wd shifting was so bad. Turned out, someone had filled the case with gear oil instead of ATF fluid. And yes, it made a BIG difference (at least in my experience).

i'd cange the thermostat too. and check all your connections, clean the grounds

Back