• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Dash Computer... with pictures!

Pleiner87

NAXJA Forum User
Several years ago while looking through a local junk yard I had came across (what I can remember as a 1984 XJ Wagoneer Limited) that had a Factory self checking "computer" under the clock with red LEDs. I have found several 1984-1990 Wagoneers since then and can only find the clock verson. When I had found it someone had riped it out (breaking the mounting tabs) trying to get just the clock. I only took the cover from it, which is a shame becaue it would look cool in place of the dummy panel on my 1992, even if it didnt work... The reason I brought this up is to see if anyone else had seen one of these and how cool it would be to have a working one in an cherokee.
100_3386.jpg

and with backlighting (flashlight)
100_3388.jpg

Merry (whats left of) Christmas, and happy new year! -Todd

That was called "System Sentry" - I've seen it in the manuals and parts lists, but I've not seen it in person. I think it would have been pretty cool - and I think it ran somewhat ahead of all these "luxury" cars that are doing it (contemporary with the system in the Lincoln MkVII, IIRC.)

wow that is a lot of sensors to hook up but all very useful especially the transfer case fluid level ... hopefully you can hook it up!

I parted out an '87 XJ Wagoneer that had that set up on it. The D30/35 each had a sensor in the differential housing casting to monitor the level. Basically all that it did was let you know if any of the fluid levels were low.

Not sure how it checked the brake pads - I don't recall any odd sensors on the calipers or backing plates...... :dunno:

When I'd turn the key on, the "checking" light would blink, then the "All Systems Normal" light would come on and stay on.

I want to do that in my 97 side by side with a scan gauge! It says "fluid levels" so probably ignores temps, but that is such a great idea! No more dipsticks!!! LOL I am gonna do some research on what sensors are needed to gauge these levels today... I'm bored!

I pulled most of a sentry system out of a junked 85 or 86 XJ chief. Basically there's a sensor for every one of those lights. Some of the sensors are connected directly to the display box. Some go thru a separate control box mounted under the dash, then into the display box.

Here's a wiring diagram for it....probably way better my explanation.

The t-case and axle all use the exact same sensor. The one part of the system i didn't pull was the brake pad sensors; couldn't figure out where those were either.

Back