• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.3 vortec swap in a 85 cherokee

85cherokoholic

NAXJA Forum User
i havent done it but i was told it is possible, i see all these s10s running around with the 2.8 in them, and they have done a 4.3 vortec engine swap, and its all good. my question is i have the 2.8 s10 engine in my jeep and was wondering if it would be possible. sounds like it would since it is a s10 engine, i got a friend at work that im gonna talk to, he did the 4.3 swap in his s10. anyone think this is possible, i searched the forums for this question and couldnt find it.

i havent done it but i was told it is possible, i see all these s10s running around with the 2.8 in them, and they have done a 4.3 vortec engine swap, and its all good. my question is i have the 2.8 s10 engine in my jeep and was wondering if it would be possible. sounds like it would since it is a s10 engine, i got a friend at work that im gonna talk to, he did the 4.3 swap in his s10. anyone think this is possible, i searched the forums for this question and couldnt find it.

Um... yes it's the same 2.8... the 4.3 isn't a direct swap (in either application), and will most likely explode an ax-5/4 if you have one (otherwise you have a t-5/4), but fuel injection and all would be VERY nice. Pull both the interior and exterior harness from a basic s10/15 blazer or jimmy and adapt them to your body, I'm sure you can make it work out easier than just using the engine harness for the 4.3... Look for one from the syclone or typhoon trucks, they'll be turbocharged mostlikely...

If you want really easy, look for the 3.1/3.4 GM 60 v6's, they're the same block and will take all of your stock carb equipment (except the mechanical fuel pump junk), but FI will definately be nicer/more effecient.

The buick 3.8 is also a viable swap, there are performance supercharged blocks with fuel injection and such. Work will be similar to the 4.3, because it is also a 90 degree v6 (of a different design).

Someone tell me if I'm giving out bad information, I don't want to in any case!

idk if it's possible or not but the 4.3 is a damn good motor. im also a big s10 fan. ive heard lots of ppl. that have close to 200k on the motor and have had no major problems. imo i think it'd be a pretty sweet swap. try s10forum.com if you got any questions about that motor. they got a whole section just for the 4.3 motor

Troy (YELLAHEEP) used to have a 4.3l powered XJ. There's a possibility that a friend of mine down in Milwaukee was involved in the original build.

From what Kenny told me, there was a lot of work.

3.4 would be the easiest swap, as it is a direct replacement.

If you want really easy, look for the 3.1/3.4 GM 60 v6's, they're the same block and will take all of your stock carb equipment (except the mechanical fuel pump junk), but FI will definately be nicer/more effecient.

This is the route I would go unless you want to swap more drive train stuff with the motor. I would go with a TB injection, Holley for aftermarket stuff or you could go with some stock stuff and swap in the ECU.

Yeah, our search engine here sucks. You'd think you could type in "4.3" and it'd find it, but noooooooooo! :dunno:

For the most part, "engine swap" "vortec" tend to get you the links.

Here's a few:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101833&highlight=swap

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=92041&highlight=swap

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72369&highlight=swap

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=205716&postcount=3

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=47105&highlight=swap

Haha, ironic that you said this two years ago:

"
There is NO WAY you searched here at :NAXJA: and couldn't find the answers you're looking for....... this topic has been covered over and over..... I've replied so many times with my own write up info and links, it's all here.

Search using "vortec", "4.3 swap", "3.4 swap", V6 swap..... I counted 6 good threads on the subject just under "vortec"."

Back