• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

This topic has been beat to death, but......

jb660r

NAXJA Forum User
After hard searching, I've been unable to find a power window fix for 96 and older xj's. Just like the other posts, my windows all work from the drivers door switch, but not from the individual doors. I have torn the door apart, tried cleaning the switch, jumping from here to there, and removed the drivers side kick panel, and tried to jump the yellow and tan wire. On my 93 the harness with the yellow and tan, that come from the windows, is completely different than the 97 and up "how to" link I found, the yellow and tan still go the the child lock switch, on the door, but jumping them in either location hasnt worked. Also just like most, if I use the switch on the drivers door, I can stop the window by using the switch on any of the other doors. Does anyone know of what the cause may be, I'll keep plugging away at it and if no one has an answer, maybe I can find one, fuses get expensive though lol and my fingers are full of these cool looking branding marks from hot wires :)

The 97 FSM indicates the wire is yellow. If the one hooked to your switch is Yellow/Tan, so be it. This wire provides the 12v, through the lockout switch to the other switches. With the key one and the switch disconnected, test for voltage at the pins. One should have, one should not. If you have 12 v then the break is the wire going to the other switches. If not, the break is in the 12v supply.

Generally,the wires break in the bundle passing from he door into the door jamb. Sounds like you tried past that point under the kick panel.

If the windows all work from the drivers door but not from the individual doors, then the child lock is engaged

Myfirst thought. Is that lock mechanical, or electrical? If it's electrical, there may be a wiring fault - if mechanical, something isn't connecting properly...

Myfirst thought. Is that lock mechanical, or electrical? If it's electrical, there may be a wiring fault - if mechanical, something isn't connecting properly...

With 5-90 here your problems will be solved!!!
darn smart electrical guy ^^

There are 2 wires a yellow, and a tan, but they are bundled in with all the other wires, unlike the 97 and newer. Agreed is the fact the child lock is on, but the switch has no change in the on or off position. I'll have to re-test the wires to see which had power on which didn't. I think the switch should work to open or close a circuit allowing the windows to be used at their door, which is why they jumper should work, but I didn't. I wondered if anyone else had this problem and solved it on the older XJ's. Now that the kids and wife are done unwrapping gifts, I might get 38 seconds to myself to screw around with it. If there were a santa he woulda took a break from the damn cookies and fixed it for me.

Back