• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Popping noise from tranny hump and floor board

SpenceXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 xj with a np242 and aw4. There is a really faint popping sound that will not go away the comes from the center console/ right by the e-brake lever. Kinda sounds like its in the dash too. It happens when starting out from a stop and even when parked but not as bad.

Anyone have the same thing?

sounds like motor or transmission mounts...
does it only happen when shifting from park->drive?

like, if you came to a soft stop, then restarted, it wouldnt clunk, but if you shift to neutral, then back to D, it happens EVERYtime? if so... tranny mount or driveshaft ujoints?

I have a 99 xj with a np242 and aw4. There is a really faint popping sound that will not go away the comes from the center console/ right by the e-brake lever. Kinda sounds like its in the dash too. It happens when starting out from a stop and even when parked but not as bad.

Anyone have the same thing?

You need to be a little more specific.........

You need to be a little more specific.........

What is there to be more specific about?

Also, its just wen shifting, it is when it is in park or driving. If I put my hand next on the left side of the hump I can sort of feel a tapping against it. That tapping goes along with the popping so there are more details.

The only thing on the left side of the hump is the t-case shift linkage, but I can't think of any reason it would make any noise.

Have you checked the tranny mount?

What is there to be more specific about?

Also, its just wen shifting, it is when it is in park or driving. If I put my hand next on the left side of the hump I can sort of feel a tapping against it. That tapping goes along with the popping so there are more details.

That is a little better............. sounds like tranny, maybe your flexplate.

Drivers side exhaust? :huh:

Apparently he doesn't realize us American's drive on the right side of the road... :roflmao:

~Scott

What I meant was driverside of the center console where the downpipe turns to the passenger side. Loose exhaust mounts caused mine to rattle & have the poping sound when moving & stopped

DRIVER SIDE

Cutting.jpg

I just replaced my downpipe and it now rattles on the crossmember. The stock one didn't... Anybody ever replace the exhaust mount in the crossmember? Know where to get one?

Back