• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee Wont Shift......

xJeepxXJxThingx

NAXJA Forum User
I got a 92 cherokee and it doesnt seem to wanna jump out of first gear. No signs leading to this and i have the car jacked up and dont know where to start.......linkage?wiring? or i have even heard that it may be the TPS. I just have a gut feeling that its not the whole tranny if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated...............

DO you think it is the TPS and where exactly is it located im new to my XJ i thought it might have been the tranny filter since it hasnt been changed and my fluid i black... would your car not shift with the TPS messed up

Ummm do a tranny service, that could be your problem. the AW4 is bullet proof but you still need to service it every now and then.

If you are still having problems with it shifting after you service your tranny then we can talk about adjusting the TPS.

When I got mine it would only shift manually and not go into OD lock up. I got some junkyard internal solenoids and swapped them in. It has been perfect since. When you drop the trans pan you'll see the three solenoids I'm speaking of.

Can someone explain to me how the TPS affects my transmission I don't understand I thought that only dealt with your idling. It won't even shift when I do it manually...........

Back