• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight harness connectors melted

white99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My passenger headlight has been very dim and even absent at times so I pulled out the light and found that the connector to the bulb had melted. I went to Autozone and picked up a new pair of high temp connectors. I'm running 90/130 Hellas and have been for about 6-7 months, but thought that the harness wouldn't have any issues with that wattage. Does anyone know if this is too much for the harness? It's a BigOffroad harness by the way.

your thread answers your own question. maybe talk to them about their stuff failing?

i recommend building a piggyback harness via the go-jeep writeup, and ground back to the battery.
your lights will be brighter, and the light wont be coming from your jeep on fire...

Unless I miss my bet, that's exactly what the BigOffroad harness is, a relay harness.

I'd drop John a note about the sockets.

BigOffroad is one of the more reputable sources to get the harness, xcm. I would call him up and see if he has any advice. I would take the harness out and go back to regular bulbs until everything is cleared up.

If that's the only thing melted there was probably a loose connection between the wire and connector. Loose connections create heat.

Redid the grounds this morning and left the lights on while I changed my oil to see what kind of heat would build up. It got "hot" but I think it was just bad grounds. Spare 60/55w bulbs under the seat just in in case I lose a headlight while driving.

Back