• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crack in Radiator...

Rynxprs

NAXJA Forum User
so today coming into work radiator fluid just poured out of it. Engine smoking like crazy, temp gauge shoots up to red.....so i pullover

4 hrs later, I go back to it with a friend to find out whats going on...didn't know if it was a hose or not.

Spent 30 min wiht the engine running trying to find the leak.

Finally found a thin crack on the side of it that water was barely coming out of.

When we untwisted to radiator cap to release the pressure it pretty much stoped.

So...my question is.........Should I try and drive it 45 miles home....or have it towed home?

Sounds like the end tank cracked. Depends on how bad the crack is. I drove mine for a few weeks until I get a new rad. Mine wasn't bad though. My gauge never shot up. I'd probably look to tow it.

almost the same thing that happened to me. go get some stop leak radiator additive(if the crack is small enough), fill up with water and drive home.
im still running stop leak in my radiator, but i need to get another.

You can try this, Fill it with water, dont tighten the cap tight and take it slowly home, have someone with you and extra water, as long as the pressure does not build up and it does not leak too bad you should be OK, keep an eye on the gauge though. I've done that with a bad water pump on the TJ, drove 90mi back from philly. I also used about 4 gallons of water that I started with and refilled them once in a stream along the road once I got off the turnpike 1/2 hour from home.. Just pick a low traffic time because you won't be going over about 30mph... The closer to idle you can keep it the better.

thanks...thats what i'm going to try and do.

I'll keep to side roads so i can keep it slow.....or i can take 95 and drive about 50 without being killed.

I recommend you tow the vehicle OR repair it where it died. I would hate to have you trash your engine because you drove it home. It over heated again you may not be in a good place to pull over.

If you are a member of AAA then use your membership to get it home for you. I would recommmend you change the radiator but the removal of the ATF lines to the radiator requires a 3/8 Air conditioner line tool.

I would tow it home then do the repair on my own schedule. With the radiator removed you can do a lot of work on the engine with ease. When I changed my raditor in 2004 I replaced the water pump while I had the extra room. It is also a great time to install a new fan belt.

Also since you may of overheaded it I recommend you go to the dealer and buy a new thermostat and install it. It just cheap insurance. I also like the radiator hoses from the dealer, the lower hose comes with the spring installed.

I would also install a new fan clutch while you have it out. There no good way to test the clutch and it more peace of mind. I change mine every 4 years when I changes hoses just to prevent problems.

Bridgman said:
almost the same thing that happened to me. go get some stop leak radiator additive(if the crack is small enough), fill up with water and drive home.
im still running stop leak in my radiator, but i need to get another.

I'd avoid the stop-leak crap. It tends to plug radiators (which you'll probably be replacing anyhow), but is also shortens the life of the water pump as that crap goes through the bearing and it somewhat abrasive.

Rynxprs said:
so today coming into work radiator fluid just poured out of it. Engine smoking like crazy, temp gauge shoots up to red.....so i pullover

4 hrs later, I go back to it with a friend to find out whats going on...didn't know if it was a hose or not.

Spent 30 min wiht the engine running trying to find the leak.

Finally found a thin crack on the side of it that water was barely coming out of.

When we untwisted to radiator cap to release the pressure it pretty much stoped.

So...my question is.........Should I try and drive it 45 miles home....or have it towed home?

Here's what I suggest:

1. Try to patch up the crack in the end tank with some epoxy. It'll act as a bandaid fix.
2. Top up the radiator with distilled water.
3. Replace radiator cap but turn it only to the first stop so it doesn't pressurize the system.
4. Add enough distilled water to the expansion reservoir to bring it to the "full" mark.
5. Carry at least one extra gallon of water with you in case you need to stop at the roadside to top up the radiator.
6. Pick a time when the traffic is lightest and drive in the right hand lane of the highway at the lowest speed that'll keep the tranny in overdrive (50-55mph) and the engine at the lowest possible rpm. You DON"T want to drive on a road where there are traffic lights 'cause every time you stop, the coolant temp. will rise.
7. Watch the temp. gauge like a hawk and if it goes over 220*F, pull over and top up the radiator.
8. As long as you take it easy, you'll reach home safely. Whatever you do, DON"T use radiator stop leak or any other liquid leak-stopping potion. It'll clog up the radiator core and make things worse.
9. If it's the passenger side end tank that's cracked, it'll be due to an already blocked radiator core so rather than patch up the old radiator, do yourself a huge favour and get a new one.

Back