• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extremly Low Oil Pressure

93_xj

NAXJA Forum User
97 XJ 4.0

Recently, ive been noticing my oil pressure was kinda jacked up . At 1800 rpms, it was at 37-40, and at idle, it would drop to 20.

Well now, Im at about 30 at 1800 rpms, and at idle, im at 10 psi. What the hell could be causing my oil pressure to drop so low?

I just did an oil change today, if that matters.

Heres a video, at the beginning, im at 1800 rpms, then I let off and it goes to an idle, then back up to 1800 rpm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H6ZZALBH_g

Could be the sender or defective filter maybe. The stock gauges aren't really all that accurate. I would put a manual oil pressure gauge on it and try the cheapest fixes first.

yeah im gonna give the mechanical gauge a shot.

dont know if it matters, but I just went out and turned on the jeep. When the engine is cold, it idled at 35-37 psi.

Drove around for 10 minutes, got the temperature up to 210, and brought it home. At hot, it idled at 5.

Factory spec. for oil pressure:

13psi MINIMUM at HOT idle
37-75psi on a hot engine running above 1600 rpm
---------------------------------------------

Your problem is most likely the oil pressure sending unit or electrical contact to it. It is by far responsible for the vast majority of erratic oil pressure readings. If cleaning connector to it doesn't restore believable readings, replace. I'd recommend buying one directly from Jeep for best reliability/accuracy/mating with your factory gauge. And yea.....a mechanical gauge is the way to go if you're still wondering...Good Luck!

Back