• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

control arm drop brackets

magimerlin

NAXJA Forum User
Please post ONLY if you have or have had them. Please give me your likes and dislikes. I want to go a little higher but no wish for long arm at the moment and think from what I have seen they might be a viable option to better the short arm angles. I do not want long arms at the moment. So please just opinions on drop brackets if you have or had them.

And yes there are plenty of threads on drop brackets but not JUST an real life pro's and con's list. So yes i did search. That is what I am looking for, real life facts not hearsay. Thank you
Jay

opps almost forgot. Right now I am 4.5 and want to go to about 5.5"-6". Its an 89, 2dr, auto, with a sye, 4.56 gears, D30, 29 spline 8.25, sitting on 32's. I think that covers it.

I just put my RE brackets and braces on last night, I set the lower and upper arms to their spec and now my stock steering is hitting the disconnect mounts and stabilizer bracket. I'm not worried about the stabilizer bracket but I need to find a way around the disconnect bracket interference.

I have not driven it yet due to the steering being locked up but the tires/wheels are once again centered in the fenders, the springs are centered on the bump stops for the first time in a long time!

The install is simple.

Besides the "rock magnet" issue! Db's are just about level at 4.5",after that I'd still recommend a different suspension.

took a few days to dial it in, proper angles and disco lengths and such but i appreciate the smoother ride and love the fact the the wheels are centered in the wells, looks like it's supposed to

I'm at 4.5 with drop brackets on a RE lift. I really dig it. Not much difference for wheeling, but on long highway stetches, all the difference in the world. Handles WAY better now.

For the interference with the stabilizer, you need relocation brackets for those as well (and stock-length disconnect links).

I haven't found the drop brackets to be an issue with getting caught on things, but maybe I've just got better wheel placement skillz.

i have had mine on for almost a year and love them....Dont let anyone scare you away thinking they are rock magnets...THEY ARE NOT....i wheel with them and have never gotten hung up on a rock

a definate must for short arms over 4.5", worth every penny

Had them for about a 1 1/2 yr. Night and day from what I was running before. I wouldn't say that the install was the easiest thing, but just take your time and keep everything loose while assembling.

if you get them for a deal then ues them.Other wise save for the long arm if you plan on going bigger. I had the re 5.5 kit and really liked it.When i went taller i got the RK long arm upgrade but i would have just done the bolt on long arm if it was availible then.

I've have them for over a year and a half now. They ride great on the road, immense improvement over regular 4.5" shot arms. I first had them with 4.5" RE coils with 1.75" spacers, and I could definitely feel the suspension absorbing the bumps, rather than the unibody. I currently have 7.5" coils in and they still feel pretty smooth. I think I'll eventually go LA though for various reasons.

I think for what you are thinking you want to do, DB would be perfect. They do make a difference in smoothness, and if you decide later, you can always sell them.

i have had mine on for almost a year and love them....Dont let anyone scare you away thinking they are rock magnets...THEY ARE NOT....i wheel with them and have never gotten hung up on a rock

Actually, I've hit them about once every time out so far (I've only gone about 3 times so far as I've been busy, and I had a build that took longer than expected) A couple of the times have just been hitting them due to the suspension compressing, but once I stopped bouncing, I was able to drive over the obstacle without hitting them again. They have never actually hung me up or stopped me from going anywhere, I've just bottomed out on them. Stiffer shocks might have helped in a few cases.

Here is a video of my last time out. I will show you how I've hit them before. (And don't say that its the rock rail that hit the rock, as you can clearly see its not)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu6hOaQwifY

Last edited:
Could I use these in conjunction with RE's 4.5" Superflex kit?

You will WANT DB's with the RE4.5" SF kit. I ran that kit for a year before putting on the RE DB's and braces. The difference was amazing. Better ride and better articulation off road. Best mod for the money in my opinion.

The key here....
opps almost forgot. Right now I am 4.5 and want to go to about 5.5"-6". Its an 89, 2dr, auto, with a sye, 4.56 gears, D30, 29 spline 8.25, sitting on 32's. I think that covers it.

I personally will not go higher than 5.5 with the DB's, after that you get right back into what you just got out of.

I say LA for 5.5 or more.

Here is a pic of my arms at ride height and 5.5" lift

P1010647.jpg

I have about 6 inches of lift with mine. I like it, only down side was that I had to fully recess the control arms to make it right thus redering the adjustability useless. I seem to be the only one here, but I stripped the support bracket out of the frame. Theres gotta be a better way to attach those things.

I have about 6 inches of lift with mine. I like it, only down side was that I had to fully recess the control arms to make it right thus redering the adjustability useless. I seem to be the only one here, but I stripped the support bracket out of the frame. Theres gotta be a better way to attach those things.

Do you have the RE or the RK DB's, the RE braces go all the way back and are sandwiched by the cross member, no way they are stripping out!

rough country

Back